'suspect' database

• Hi,

I have an installation of sql 2k on 2 separate machines.

machine1

Win 2000 workstation.

machine2

Win 2000 Server.

The problem is that one of the databases on the Win 2000 Server is greyed out, and marked as 'suspect'

I'm not really sure what has gone wrong, because all the other databases in the single version of sql 2k are fine.

Is there any way that I can recover from this, without having to re-copy from machine 1 to machine2 ?

many thanks,

yogi

• Check your SQL Serevr errorlog for any related error messages before taking any actions.

• I just had this happen. One thing you can try is DETACH the suspect database and then ATTACH it.

I had a restart of my computer that didn't work right and stopped the 'automatic' restore in the middle.

-SQLBill

• Thanks for the advice folks,

The problem was that this had occurred at the site over a week ago, but I was only told today.

I will go back over the errorLogs when I get back out there.in the meantime, I simply retored the db from another location.

If I find any more info about what caused the problem, I will post for reference.

many thanks.

yogi

• Many times you see the "suspect" database when the drive is too full for the database to be written to. Your solution to restore the database is the best approach I have found when I deal with this problem other than resorting to calling PSS. Also see the following topic in Books Online.

Resetting the Suspect Status (

mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Microsoft%20SQL%20Server\80\Tools\Books\trblsql.chm::/tr_servdatabse_494j.htm )

To use this open Books Online and select go/url and paste in the above URL (provinding the path is correct).

Gary Johnson

Microsoft Natural Language Group

DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• Thanks bud, maybe for once, I might have done somethin right 🙂

oh, for decent error messages.

thanks all, for taking the time.

yogi

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply