SUSPECT database

•  

Hi,

My laptop hanged as I was running a large table update and when I restarted my database was marked as 'SUSPECT'.

Running sp_resetstatus @dbname = "mydb" says that the flag has allready been reset but does not make any diffference.

When I try

SP_CONFIGURE 'allow updates', 1

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

UPDATE master..sysdatabases set status = -32768 WHERE name = 'mydb'

GO

SP_CONFIGURE 'allow updates', 0

I get the error message

Update or insert of view or function 'master..sysdatabases' failed because it contains a derived or constant field.

Is there any other alternative to get into emergency mode to recover the data in the database?

Rgds and Thx

Christo

• You did not mention how you restarted your server. If you turned off its power, or do something else without allowing your updates to rollback, your log file is damaged.

My suggestion is:

1. detach your database;

2. re-attach your data file, and create a new log file at the same time (your log file is most likely damaged if you restarting your services not gracefully).

Of course, your imcomplete transactions will be lost in the above procedures.

Hopefule, the above is helpful.

• BTW, your update to the sysdatabases table did not work because it is not a table in SQL 2005 anymore.

It is a view based on the sys.databases table that is made to look like the old table for backward compatibility.

If you do an sp_helptext sysdatabases you will see that the status field is now a calculated field in the view.

You need to update the underlying table, not the view.

• I guess the issue was first open from SQL Server 7.0, but SQL 2005 for emergency mode you have to execute:

alter database mydb

set emergency

go

You don't need to restart SQL Server Service for this change.

To rollback this you exeecute

alter database mydb

set online

go

• This is terrible advice. Most suspect databases WILL NOT reattach successfully.

Cristo - did the database/log run out of space? Why did it go suspect in the first place? You may be able to just expand the log or data files and then re-start recovery to get it out of suspect mode.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Paul Randal (9/12/2007)

This is terrible advice. Most suspect databases WILL NOT reattach successfully.

Cristo - did the database/log run out of space? Why did it go suspect in the first place? You may be able to just expand the log or data files and then re-start recovery to get it out of suspect mode.

hi i am nishantha

my database suspect how can i recovary

thanks

• nishantha0 (2/19/2009)

hi i am nishantha

my database suspect how can i recovary

thanks

Please post your problem in a new thread and explain, in detail, what happened and what the problem is. Check the SQL error log for related errors.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • HI nishantha,

you run the this screep IN Query Analyzer ,

USE Master

GO

-- Determine the original database status

SELECT [Name], DBID, Status

FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases

GO

-- Enable system changes

sp_configure 'allow updates',1

GO

GO

-- Update the database status

UPDATE master.dbo.sysdatabases

SET Status = 24

WHERE [Name] = 'DATABASE NAME'

GO

-- Disable system changes

sp_configure 'allow updates',0

GO

GO

-- Determine the final database status

SELECT [Name], DBID, Status

FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases

GO

kaushalendra Singh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply