Synchronizing 2 remote tables

• I need to maintain an MSDE database at a remote site and then synchronize 2 tables with the entrprise server at the parant site. Using ADO in a VS VC/C++ application, what is the best way to do this?

I am currently updating all tables one record at a time, but this is becoming problematic. Keep in mind that the enterprise server tables need to as close to real time (maintain accuracy with the remote sites) as possible because management use the enterprise server tables in a web app to monitor remote site activity.

Any help is appreciated.

• I think replication could help here. Is this bidirecitonal synch?

The other thing might be to bulk pull a bunch of the data into the parent server and stage it, then perform the changes.

• The synchronization I am most concerned with is from remote locations to enterprise server only, although there are other tables that are being synchronized from enterprise to remote (control tables).

Concerning replication, can I automate this process via the MSDE installation on the remote box via a trigger or stored procedure? I have never used replication before and would like to check out it's intrinsic functionality, but I need to have a way to manage it from the app is possible because I only do updates to the enterprise server if the server is available (handle line drops, poor connections, etc...). Can you reference some information other than the SQL help files, something with some examples or something?

FYI:

In a nutshell, this app uses a web based management console to control all aspects of the system (shop floor management, what is being manufactured, on what machines, when, etc...). All of these changes/modifications are done via the web portal and the updates are sent to the remote sites (actually the remote sites pull the changes from Enterprise server). Each remote site will then use the configuration settings and collect metric data from all machines on the shop floor and send the metrics to the enterprise server for reporting.

• Well, the type of replication I need is Transactional, but MSDE installs do not support this (ARGH!!!).

I guess I will have to mainatin my own internal transactional replication schema instead. 

Do triggers work across servers?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply