syntax error???

• Hi,

Getting a syntax error on the following..

INSERT INTO @TEMPTABLE(TAG_NAME,TAG_DATA)

SELECT TAG_NAME = 'CUST_AGE', TAG_DATA = (SELECT FLOOR(DATEDIFF(day, BDate, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) / 365.25))FROM client

WHERE Client.OID =@CLIENT_OID);

any help would be great..

Thanks

Joe

• jbalbo (1/11/2012)

Hi,

SELECT TAG_NAME = 'CUST_AGE', TAG_DATA = (SELECT FLOOR(DATEDIFF(day, BDate, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) / 365.25))FROM client

any help would be great..

Thanks

Joe

Not really a need to do a sub-select query:

SELECT 'CUST_AGE', FLOOR(DATEDIFF(day, BDate, GETDATE()) / 365.25)

FROM client

WHERE OID =@CLIENT_OID;

• thanks that works great...

hate to be a pain I really am new, can u explain why that is, just so I know?

Thanks

• jbalbo (1/11/2012)

thanks that works great...

hate to be a pain I really am new, can u explain why that is, just so I know?

Thanks

lol I am no expert either, any even the best of the best will never claim to be. Let me try, but if it is not a good description hopefully one of the better posters will join in and give me a hand

--The first thing is that you already declared the order in which data will be inserted into the table.

--So no need to declaratively state what the value is for each column.

--(originally you had TAG_NAME='CUST_AGE', etc, which isn't necessary)

--Next, when inserting data you can INSERT specific values or from tables like a regular SELECT statement

SELECT 'CUST_AGE', FLOOR(DATEDIFF(day, BDate, GETDATE()) / 365.25)

FROM client

--To see how this works remove your where clause

--If you did not have the where clause below, it would insert a row into @TEMPTABLE

--for every BDate value in client table

WHERE OID =@CLIENT_OID;

• thats a good explaination..

Im putting it on my Fridge!!

• jbalbo (1/11/2012)

Hi,

SELECT TAG_NAME = 'CUST_AGE',

TAG_DATA = (SELECT FLOOR(DATEDIFF(day, BDate, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) / 365.25))

FROM client

To answer your original question as to why you got the Syntax error to begin with.. Count your parenthesis. You should have one left for each right. At the very end of your code, you have an extra right.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• WOW i NEVER PICKED THAT UP!!

• Wow never picked it up!!

• jbalbo (1/13/2012)

Wow never picked it up!!

It's probably the most common sql server mistake ever made and everyone, even the experts, make it constantly. Just remember: If everything else looks correct, count the parens.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• thanks..

I got a new one Im tottaly confused about stay tuned!!! lol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply