syntax error Server: Msg 170 unable to reproduce on different servers

• All,

I have a perplexing issue on our production server which is generating a basic syntax error when I try to parse the file and or execute the file. But if i parse or run the file on a different server I cannot reproduce the error and the developers cannot reproduce the error in their environment as we both are able to run the script. Does anybody have any ideas to where to begin troubleshooting this problem or had any similar situations?

FWIW we are running

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2040 (Intel X86) May 13 2005 18:33:17 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

• which version of SQL client tools are using to parse\run the scrips, what service pack are they on?

• the version of query analyzer is 8.00.194

• You will need to apply service packs to the client system running the tools.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Agreed.  80.1940 is the unpatched Release to Manufacture version.  This needs to be patched not only to resolve your issue but also to address some pretty significant vulnerabilities security issues.

Most people remember to patch their SQL Servers, but don't patch their clients and MSDE installations.  This can be a big oversight as we saw several years ago with the Slammer worm attacks that rapidly spread via unpatched  systems.  Since you're server is running SP4, I'd patch the client to the same level.  If you can't, at least install to level SP3a. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• This is a noob question but how can I update the client tools without affecting the server

• Are the client tools on the same server as the database? If so, they should have been upgraded when you upgraded the databases.

Either way, running the SP installer will detect what needs updated.

-SQLBill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply