sysobjects.category values - SQL 2000

• Hi all,

I am searching for the possible integer values that I might come across in the sysobjects.category column.

I need to do various object comparisons but I keep getting system objects that I do not want.

Example:

To return user stored procedures I use

select * from sysobjects

where upper(xtype) = 'P'

BUT it also returns sp_MSdel_tablename - whic is a system replication SP

The same happens when I search for usertables (upper(xtype) = 'U')

I have received suggestions to include "category <> 2" / "category = 0" in my where clause - but I don't feel comfortable using values if I don't know what they represent.

I know I could also exclude certain prefixes ie. "sp_ms%" - but I would rather try and get the results using the category values. 

Could anyone help with this or at least forward some info/links on these values?

thanks!

Thinus

What's this "backup strategy" everyone is on about?

• Here's a little start on the documentation side:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/systables.mspx

However it does not contain values for the column you mentioned. Maybe MSDN has the information. If not then it seems that you will have to experiment (write queries to determine values) from known objects !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I have a similar situation. I too am looking at the category column of the sysobjects table but for a different reason.

What i would like to know is "is a table/procedure replicated to the current server? and if it is, where did it come from? who is the publisher?"

I believe this could also be determined thru the sysobjects.category column.

I haven't found any documentation on the meaning of the values for the column yet.

Ronald San Juan | SQL DBA
    ID 710124 ~ Code "Northwind"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply