System.OutofMemoryException

• Hi,

we use a sql server 2005 on a windows 2003 r2 sp2 32 bits server.

Some users received this error in the application: "System.OutofMemoryException".

On the database server, we have 4 GB RAM.

I see more than 1.8 GB of free memory on the server.

The sqlservr.exe process take 1 721 840 K of memory.

In the sql server error log, we have no errors reported.

In the windows events log on the server, we have no errors reported.

So, I'm not sure than this error come from the database server.

If we have a lack of memory in sql server, does is not suppose to swap on disk instead of giving this kind of error ?

I suspect a client problem, but i'm not 100% sure because I'm thinking also about the reality of 32 bits server memory (4gbb only virtual address space available).

regards,

David

• That's not a SQL Server error. That's a .net error (SQL is not written in .net). It's the client machine that is running out of memory and the client app, written in .Net that's throwing the error.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for your answer.

And are you agree with these 2 sentences:

- If we have a lack of memory in sql server, does is not suppose to swap on disk instead of giving this kind of error ?

- If we have a lack of memory in sql server with this error, I will see error in my sql server error log and in the windows events logs ?

regards

• Again, this is not a SQL Server error. This is not coming from the server, it's a client-side error coming from the client application. You cannot get a System.OutOfMemory exception thrown by SQL Server as System.OutOfMemory is a .NET error and SQL Server is not written in .NET.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply