system stored procecures

• IMO this was an easy one.... thanks!

• Christian Buettner-167247 (8/23/2011)

elbedata (8/23/2011)

It returns "that" when I test on SQL Server 2008, but I thought it should return "this"...

Has this changed in later SQL versions? I am pretty sure I've learned that prefixing SP:s with "sp_" was a bad idea and older MS documents clearly states this.

Lars B

Better check "Naming Stored Procedures", it perfectly explains what is happening.

(sp_one in master is not a system stored procedure, therefore it is not "preferred" over the one in the current database).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190669.aspx

Thanks for answering that debate

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Good question

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SanDroid (8/23/2011)

venoym (8/23/2011)

I thought it was a fine question....

Especially since you don't see the instructions for installing SQL server on the question, you have to make an even larger assumption that SQL Server is even installed.

"Reasonable Assumption" tends to confuse a lot of people on this question... not sure why...

😛 Nice one. I could not have put it better myself.

Sometime the assumptions completely change the outcome depending on what they are. I don't think that is the case today.

On top of that, didn't it say to consider the code, not run it?!? 😀 😛 :hehe:

Good question

• It is a good question. I answered too quickly and got it wrong. Had I thought about it a little longer I would have remembered that an application could break if Microsoft created a system stored procedure that happened to match you user stored procedure if they conflicted because you used sp_ in the naming of your procedures.

Also, based on the script we were to consider, I assumed that the database test2 already existed. If one of the choices had been something like database does not exist or procedure already exists (or something similar), then I might agree with those who complained about not having a create database in the script as well.

• I didn't read all 5 pages of comments, so maybe someone else has already pointed this out.... I know the rules of the sp_ prefix, BUT in the code block the last USE statement puts the code execution on the test2 database. From that, I assumed the engine would still be looking at test2 for the procedure before looking elsewhere.

...on the other hand, I could have gotten the right answer based on wrong assumption...

• Silly me, assuming the blatantly obvious answer couldn't possibly be correct.

ron

-----
    a haiku...

NULL is not zero
    NULL is not an empty string
    NULL is the unknown

• ronmoses (8/23/2011)

Silly me, assuming the blatantly obvious answer couldn't possibly be correct.

ron

😀 That nearly got me, too!

Very good question, especially since it highlights that the BOL don't necessarily mean what they appear to say.

• good one

===========================================
    Better try and fail than not to try at all...

Database Best Practices[/url]

SQL Server Best Practices[/url]

• michael.kaufmann (8/23/2011)

Hafiz Muhammad Suleman (8/23/2011)

one question : how can we create a system procedure in master by ourselves ?

I may be wrong, but as far as I know, you cannot create a system stored procedure--they are provided by Microsoft only.

There is an undocumented method to mark your "sp_xxx" stored procedure as a system object:

EXEC sys.sp_ms_marksystemobject 'sp_xxx'

I've found this method here: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp/archive/2007/01/18/58287.aspx

• vk-kirov (8/24/2011)

michael.kaufmann (8/23/2011)

Hafiz Muhammad Suleman (8/23/2011)

one question : how can we create a system procedure in master by ourselves ?

I may be wrong, but as far as I know, you cannot create a system stored procedure--they are provided by Microsoft only.

There is an undocumented method to mark your "sp_xxx" stored procedure as a system object:

EXEC sys.sp_ms_marksystemobject 'sp_xxx'

I've found this method here: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp/archive/2007/01/18/58287.aspx

no use and still it executes our db sp when execute sp_one

• Hafiz Muhammad Suleman (8/24/2011)

Database context should be changed to 'master' before executing the sp_ms_marksystemobject procedure:

USE master

GO

EXEC sys.sp_ms_marksystemobject 'sp_one'

GO

USE test2

GO

• vk-kirov (8/24/2011)

Hafiz Muhammad Suleman (8/24/2011)

Database context should be changed to 'master' before executing the sp_ms_marksystemobject procedure:

USE master

GO

EXEC sys.sp_ms_marksystemobject 'sp_one'

GO

USE test2

GO

already did in the same way as you telling but after that if i executes

USE test2

EXEC sp_one it execute the the the sp that is in test2 db with same name not the master db sp 🙂

• I like the idea behind the question, but the question itself (and the script) could have been worked out better.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Hafiz Muhammad Suleman (8/24/2011)

already did in the same way as you telling but after that if i executes

USE test2

EXEC sp_one it execute the the the sp that is in test2 db with same name not the master db sp 🙂

You are right, sorry for the confusing posts about sp_ms_marksystemobject.

I tested it yesterday and somehow I got 'this' as a result. Probably I executed the 'sp_one' procedure in context of the 'master' database.

Sorry again 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply