system table for SQL server agent

• Im having 100+ SQL servers in my project. I have check whether all the sql server agent is running or not. SO is there ant system table to check whether sql agent is running or not

• No, but you can check for connections from it:

select * from sys.sysprocesses

where program_name like '%SqlAgent%'

However I wouldn't trust this kind of check for service status necessarily. I would use VBScript and WMI external to SQL Server. You can check your service status using the code on the following link:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/SQLExamples/Wiki/View.aspx?title=ServiceStatusMon&referringTitle=AutomatedDBA

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• I would use Powershell and WMI to check service status.

This will get you started, all you need to do is look at the examples for how to loop through a list of servers to expand upon this:

PS> $computer = '.'

PS> $services = Get-WMIObject Win32_Service -computer $computer | where {$_.Name -like 'SQLAgent*'}

PS> $services | Select Name, State, Status

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Since Powershell is Microsofts future for scripting, Jeffery's recommendation is actually a better one. It uses the same WMI namespaces that the vbscript in the link I provided would, but it uses the more current Powershell over the older VBScript. I should really take the time to get into powershell some more.

• Thanks alot for ur valuable solutions.

• But if you are not familiar with WMI or Powershell.

You can use

EXEC master..xp_servicecontrol 'QueryState', 'SQLServerAgent'

you can set a batch job for all your 100 servers and report the output to a file.

• Vee (12/29/2008)

But if you are not familiar with WMI or Powershell.

You can use

EXEC master..xp_servicecontrol 'QueryState', 'SQLServerAgent'

you can set a batch job for all your 100 servers and report the output to a file.

I would opt to use a supported method over an undocumented Extended procedure. Microsoft does not guarantee the functionality or continued existence of undocumented extended procedures from version to version. Just a word of caution there. While it does work to solve your problem, I wouldn't personally use or recommend using it though.

• Scripting will get you started with monitoring the Agents, but once you create it, you'll begin to find that you'll want to monitor each job, then the instance and the data, maintenance jobs, etc.

If you have that many production instances, then I'd suggest finding out if your company has or would consider getting Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2007.

Of course, it allows you to monitor and manage pretty much every system in the envirionment, but the SQL specific management packs will allow you to monitor all of the important stuff including SQL services and jobs, as well as the health of the system itself.

Hope this helps!

• To add to what Jonathan has stated - I prefer a scripted solution since that does not require an instance of SQL Server be available for monitoring. For something like this - it can all be done in Powershell (even notification) without using a database at all.

If your company can afford it - purchasing a solution to monitor is ideal. However, I have found that even large companies are reluctant to spend that kind of money - even when it is critical to their business. Most solutions for monitoring are not cheap - and those that are, you definitely get what you pay for.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply