T-SQL - For Dataset for SSRS - Looking for input

• I am writing an SSRS report which is using the following model, because SSRS does not allow you to relate Datasets ------ : (

MAIN REPORT = 1 DataSet

+ SubReport1 = 1 Dataset

+ SubReport2 = 1 Dataset

+Subreport3 (Nested in Subreport2 = 1 Dataset

I am seeing performance issues on Subreport 2 & 3

Below is a breakdown of the tables:

1 - Courses (PK = CourseID

2 - SubCoures (PK = SubCourseID and FK course ID)

3 - SchoolQuarter (PK = QuarterID)

4 - mmStudentData (FK = SubCourseID, FK QuarterID, (2 types of grades which are FK IDs) WHERE Statement = StudentID [Pulling from data wharehouse]

The problem is for each mmStudentData there can be multiple rows because I am tracking all grades in this one table and I am trying to find the best solution becuase it is working with a SubReport presenting the Courses and Subcourse and pass the SubCourseID to Subreport3 for the Grades, but when I put it all together it runs very very slow.

I am trying to think of a better query to get all the data on Subreport2 without another nest, which I believe is causing the performance issue. When I run each individually the results are very very fast.

Looking for some t-sql gurus assistance out in the SQL Central World.

• More details - Why did I do a nested report?

The Course/SubCourse report is a tablix and I nested a matrix in order to utilize a pivot on the grades which again works as expected, but dies in performance for 786 pages it took 3 Minutes 26 Seconds, but again when I perform each piece seperetly it runs in under a second.

• You can check the execution log on the report server to see where report spends most of its time - retrieving data or rendering.

USE ReportServer

GO

SELECT

C.Name,

E.ReportID,

E.InstanceName,

E.UserName,

E.RequestType,

E.Format,

E.[Parameters],

E.TimeStart,

E.TimeEnd,

TimeDiff = DATEDIFF(n, E.TimeStart, E.TimeEnd),

E.TimeDataRetrieval,

E.TimeProcessing,

E.TimeRendering,

E.[Source],

E.[Status],

E.ByteCount,

E.[RowCount]

FROM dbo.ExecutionLog E WITH (NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN [catalog] C WITH (NOLOCK)

ON E.ReportID = C.ItemID

WHERE Name = '<YOUR_REPORT_NAME>'

AND TimeStart > '08/13/2012'

I personally try to stay away from subreports and do most of the work in T-SQL.

--Vadim R.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply