T-Sql rant

• Okay... so the user decides the sequence. If he says the sequence number is a 2 and there is already a sequence 2 in the existing data... what determines whether it should come before or after the existing 2 ?? Is there a tiebreaker of some sort? Or does it matter?

Slow down and think. We have lots of experience with these types of requirements.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The user defines the sequence, it isn't alphabetical. So when inserting a record the user would give 2 as the sequence, and the rest of the records have to be re-sequenced

Even when inserting one item at a time, you are still giving yourself a lot of extra complications. Let alone if you are inserting (as recommend by us) several records at the same time. It sounds to me that you are forcing the user to do the job of the server...

It might be workable for a very limited set of records in the entire table, but still I do not see the point of having a user specifying a sequence. Would you tell us why you need this ? This would allow us to help you.

• foxjazz (3/18/2009)

OK DAMN

I don't have it all wrong, but here is the issue.

The user defines the sequence, it isn't alphabetical. So when inserting a record the user would give 2 as the sequence, and the rest of the records have to be re-sequenced.

I have to ask at this point, why does the user specify the sequence of the parts? Is there a business reason for this, for instance preferred suppliers listed first, or whatever? Knowing this will also help in developing a valid solution to the problem.

• Just

UPDATE

sequence = sequence + 1

WHERE sequence >= @Sequence

and then insert your new record.

You do not need a loop for this

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

• foxjazz (3/18/2009)

let me give some data

partnumber, producttype, sequence

7401,belt,1

7432,belt,2

8401,hose,1

8422,hose,2

This is the table.

inert a record (8403,hose,?)

after a resequence you would have

8401,hose,1

8402,hose,2

8422,hose,3

But what Bob stated was exactly what you're asking here. What significance does the sequence give to your data?

CREATE TABLE #Prd(

partnumber INT NOT NULL,

producttype VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,

sequence INT NOT NULL

)

INSERT INTO #Prd

SELECT 7401,'belt',1 UNION ALL

SELECT 7432,'belt',2 UNION ALL

SELECT 8401,'hose',1 UNION ALL

SELECT 8422,'hose',2

SELECT *

FROM #Prd

insert INTO #Prd

SELECT 8403,'hose',-50 -- -50 is a random value to show sequence is not meaniful and can be eliminated with the proper use of an Order By Clause

SELECT PartNumber, producttype

FROM [#Prd]

WHERE producttype = 'hose'

ORDER BY producttype, PArtnumber

DROP TABLE [#Prd]

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hey Fox. Don't be overwhelmed by the rush of answers and questions after each post. There are a lot of people watching and we aren't coordinating our efforts. I'm typing at the same time as Lynn and J.

Be flattered you are getting so much attention and the really quick replies. It can't last indefinitely, but people are responding to your change of heart. These forums work better if you slow down the pace between your posts.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (3/18/2009)

I wrap my entire store procedures in a BEGIN END block, why? It clearly delineates the stored procedure for one. Also, somewhere in another thread, I think Jeff Moden actually found a slight performance gain be doing it as he never did it either. This is something that probably should be investigated in more depth in a different thread.

Thanks Lynn, I'll track this down ๐Ÿ™‚

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• foxjazz (3/18/2009)

let me give some data

partnumber, producttype, sequence

7401,belt,1

7432,belt,2

8401,hose,1

8422,hose,2

This is the table.

inert a record (8403,hose,?)

after a resequence you would have

8401,hose,1

8402,hose,2

8422,hose,3

If you must do this, then the following, based on Bob's code will do what you want

set nocount on

create table #parts (partnumber varchar(10), productType varchar(10), sequence int)

insert into #parts

select 7401,'belt',1 union all

select 7432,'belt',2 union all

select 8401,'hose',1 union all

select 8422,'hose',2

select partnumber,productType,sequence from #parts

order by PARTNUMBER

insert into #parts

select 8403,'hose',0

--

set nocount off

--

-- This does the resequence.

-- Normally, you'd do it after multiple changes, not just 1 insert.

--

update #parts

set sequence = n.seq

from

#parts a

join (

select

count(*) as 'seq', x.partnumber, x.productType

from

#parts x, #parts y

where

x.productType = y.productType and x.partnumber >= y.partnumber

group by x.partnumber, x.productType

) n

on a.partnumber=n.partnumber and a.productType=n.productType

where

a.sequence <> n.seq

--

-- Resequence complete

--

set nocount on

select partnumber,productType,sequence from #parts

order by PARTNUMBER

drop table #parts

/*------------------------

Results

--------------------------

partnumber productType sequence

---------- ----------- -----------

7401 belt 1

7432 belt 2

8401 hose 1

8422 hose 2

--

(2 row(s) affected)

--

partnumber productType sequence

---------- ----------- -----------

7401 belt 1

7432 belt 2

8401 hose 1

8403 hose 2

8422 hose 3

------------------------*/

I've used SET NOCOUNT ON and set NOCOUNT OFF so you can see that only the 2 records which needed resequencing were changed.

Derek

• Thanks Derek. I hadn't had the time to do that, and couldn't have improved on it.

Fox, if you look at that last code you will see that Derek took an entire query, wrapped it in parentheses, and called it N, so he could join to it just as if it were a physical table. It's called a subquery. Don't let the slightly more advanced techniques throw you off your game. Just know that they do exist and can be learned one at a time.

I worry that we are all hitting you with a firehose of information. It makes it hard to swallow. Sometime soon, please take the time to do the pop quiz that I posted for you this morning. The typing will be minimal, but it's the thinking that's important.

• Um I don't quite understand and it's my fault for not getting my last req accross.

Forget producttype..

lets say we just have partnumber, seq

and we want to insert a part at a certain seq location.

something like:

select partnumber from tbl order by seq where seq > 2

update tbl set seq = tbl.seq + 1 where seq > 2

insert into tbl (partnumber,seq) values ('newpn', 2)

ok we can see that we can insert 1 record this way.

Lets now say that we have 2 records to insert at seq=2 and 3

so would something like this work?

update tbl set seq = tbl.seq + (select count(*) from insertdata) where seq > 2

insert into tbl (partnumber,seq) select partnumber, rowcount() + 1 from insertdata order by seq

does this make sense to anyone?

• I would keep it simple. Deal with one record at a time. If your Stored Procedure is designed to work fine with one record you can call it sequentially with all the other records. The user interface's job should be to feed you the data the way you want it. If you design you database interface to accept one or two or more orders at the same time you are creating more problems than you probably are willing to solve.

(And then you will have a reason to rant about SQL...)

• One correction to your pseudo code

update tbl set seq = tbl.seq + 1 where seq > 2

Should be

update tbl set seq = tbl.seq + 1 where seq >= 2

because you want to move the record with seq = 2 as well to make room for the new record.

• Do the sequences start over in certain ranges? For example, would parts in a certain class be sequence 1-10, and in another class, you might start over at 1 and go up to 10 again? Or is the sequence table-wide?

In either case, I'd probably handle it in SQL 2000 with a trigger that works with the inserted table, and in SQL 2005/2008 by using the inserted table in the insert proc. But the specific mechanics of the trigger depend on whether there are ranges, and how they are identified.

Also, it will matter if an insert has sequence 2 and 4, and both of those already exist. In that case, the current 2 becomes 3, but does the current 3 become 4 and the inserted 4 becomes 5, or does the current 3 become 5 and the inserted 4 stays as 4?

Alternately, instead of incrementing existing values, would 2 replace the current 2 and 4 replace the current 4, becoming an update instead of an insert if values for those already exist?

Those are business rules that would have to be accounted for in the code.

I've actually had to build something like this (which became completely obsolete with the advent of Row_Number in SQL 2005), and I can modify it for your need, if you define those rules.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/18/2009)

in SQL 2005/2008 by using the inserted table in the insert proc..

Gsquared, are you saying that in 2005/2008, I can access the inserted and deleted tables directly from a procedure?

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• Greg Snidow (3/18/2009)

GSquared (3/18/2009)

in SQL 2005/2008 by using the inserted table in the insert proc..

Gsquared, are you saying that in 2005/2008, I can access the inserted and deleted tables directly from a procedure?

Yep. Definitely can.

insert into dbo.MyTable (MyCol)

output inserted.ID

select MyOtherCol

from dbo.MyOtherTable;

Note the "output" section. You can access inserted and deleted values in there. Can use "output ... into..." to insert them into a table (including table variable, temp table and real table), or can just use "output" to select them.

Works with insert, update and delete. Same rules as triggers when it comes to which ones are available for which actions.

Very, very cool feature. No more using cursors to grab multiple identities if you need them for a second table or some such.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 465 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply