Table Design

• Duncan Pryde (3/7/2011)

Totally irrelevant to the question of course, but I needed to tell someone:

I've now finally answered every QOD in existance! (until tomorrow's comes out, anyway)

It's been a tough journey, but feels good to have finally got up to date. :hehe:

Congratulations .. now time to turn the other cheek as the saying goes and submit a question for the QOD

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Great Question - thanks Ron

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jamie - It was my understanding that this question was about how data is stored in the data pages. What did you see that made you think about query optimization?

Made sense to me.

Jamie

• bitbucket-25253 (3/7/2011)

Duncan Pryde (3/7/2011)

I've now finally answered every QOD in existance! (until tomorrow's comes out, anyway)

It's been a tough journey, but feels good to have finally got up to date. :hehe:

Congratulations .. now time to turn the other cheek as the saying goes and submit a question for the QOD

Funny you should say that, but I've got one coming out on Wednesday. I've had about 3 others published so far, to mixed-ish reviews!

• Duncan Pryde (3/8/2011)

bitbucket-25253 (3/7/2011)

Duncan Pryde (3/7/2011)

Funny you should say that, but I've got one coming out on Wednesday. I've had about 3 others published so far, to mixed-ish reviews!

Congratulations - keep up submitting for it is a quick method of teaching others, and even if you can not or care not to submitt a full length article you do contribute to the community.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Jamie Longstreet-481950 (3/7/2011)

Jamie - It was my understanding that this question was about how data is stored in the data pages. What did you see that made you think about query optimization?

It certainly makes more sense to think about optimization in terms of paging rather than the size of the table within the join and the way SQL moves the query around inside of the pages - which is probably why I didn't consider paging because it seems to be more of a function of the native client than something one has a handle on.

I did not think it was possible to make a more off topic and negative statement that made less sense.

The question was about DDL and data storage.

You are making negative statements about DML and querry optimization that make no sense.

• Excellent Question.

Now i am looking Query optimization and all the objects shown in execuation plan.Do you have any idea where i can find some good thoughts to go in this direction.

• I did not think it was possible to make a more off topic and negative statement that made less sense.

The question was about DDL and data storage.

You are making negative statements about DML and querry optimization that make no sense.

Glad I could help you with that.

Jamie

• Bad question.

You were trying to be tricky in your question. It could have been straight-forward and simple that to SAVE SPACE... which column should I prefer to make NULL over another.

--
    :hehe:

• Excellent question, I guessed the right answer, but I definitely learned something.

/Håkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply