Table partition doubt

• Is it helpful to split a table in several files (i.e: by months) and not split them in the equal amount of physical disks?

Considering only the last 2-3 months should be heavily used, is it helpful to split those 2-3 files in 2-3 disks and have the others bulked together, would this increase performance?

Not a direct question and i sense a "it depends" coming, but just want to know if its helpfull at all.

Ill properly test this as soon as i can but right now its not possible due to time constraints.

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

• yep thats the whole idea...just think of the partition as a table within a table....

we use to keep the last 12 months on ones spindle and the prior years on another ...since the last month where often used this helped a bunch. You can also use filter index to help....I would just check your query plan after you have created it, seems that some folks have had issues with the filter index...they have needed to use a query hint for the index to be used

remember when you test to do it on a test server and clear your cache each time....good luck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply