Table Partitioning Question

• Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me, what is the difference between Table partitioning an Horizontal Partitioning if any?

• Table partitioning is one of the the easiest way of doing horizontal partitioning.

• Thanks Vidya...

So, what other ways are there for Horizontal Partitioning apart from table partitioning?

• Table\index partitioning is exactly what it says. Within this there are 2 methods of partitioning

Horizontal partitioning - rows are separated into partitions

Vertical partitioning - columns are separated out into partitions

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I am aware of table partitioning where we create partition function, partition scheme and then separating the records in different filegroups based on the boundry values defined in partition function. e.g. records with id between 1 to 1000 in FG1, 1001 to 2000 in FG2 etc. Is this horizontal partitioning?

• yes, it is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks Perry...

Is it possible to partition a large table with billions of rows into separate databases and not in different file groups with the same process I mentioned above. Can you provide me some links/whitepaper on that if you have. Thanks much for all help.

• Check this link[/url]

download and read the whitepaper

• the link is not working, it brings up the same forum page.

• apat (4/24/2010)

Is it possible to partition a large table with billions of rows into separate databases and not in different file groups with the same process I mentioned above. Can you provide me some links/whitepaper on that if you have.

Yes, you can do it but I would not call it partitioning per-se but scaling-out.

Check this... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479364.aspx

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply