Table setup / indexing question.

• We have an application from a supplier with a SQL backend. Its is criminally slow and we have complained numerous times about it. They finally produced a new version that we have in test. Yet still there are numerous issues. Having a look at one of the tables I see 6 columns. Each a character column of differing lengths as such.

Split char(2)

catype char(1)

accode char(30)

acdesc varchar(60)

sort varchar(20)

accontact varchar(100)

The clustered index is on split and accode, plus there is an index on each column by itself, plus a couple of additional indexes across multiple columns.

Are the following reasonable questions to ask of a supplier ?

1. Why does the split column always have an empty space before the value ie ' 1' ?

2. Why is the clustered index setup as it is, especially when the accode is never greater than 3 characters ?

3. Why are there so many indexes ?

4. Why must you torment me ?

• Those seem like legitimate questions to me.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Excellent. I will once again damage my relationship with the supplier.

• Think of it as "you hit them first after they kicked you".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply