TABLOCKX

• Hi,

I have a requirement to return a sequential integer value based upon a prefix. The set of prefix values is dynamic. So, for example, the first time I'm called with the prefix 'XXXX' I should return 1, the second time 2, etc, but if I'm then called with 'YYYY' I should return 1, and so on. It is essential that I never return a duplicate index for a given prefix. Will the following stored proc do what I want:

ALTER PROC net.AllocateJobReference

@BaseRef CHAR(4),

@Index INT OUTPUT

AS

BEGIN TRANSACTION --WITH TABLOCKX

SELECT @Index=LastUsed FROM JobRefAllocation WITH (TABLOCKX, HOLDLOCK) WHERE RefBase=@BaseRef

IF @Index IS NULL BEGIN

INSERT JobRefAllocation ( RefBase, LastUsed ) VALUES ( @BaseRef, 1)

SET @Index=1

END ELSE BEGIN

SET @Index=@Index+1

UPDATE JobRefAllocation SET LastUsed=@Index WHERE RefBase=@BaseRef

END

COMMIT TRANSACTION

I realise there are scalability issues with locking the entire table like this, but volume of calls is never going to go beyond a thousand or so a day. I've tested it myself and it appears to work fine, but I just want to make sure I've not missed any holes!

• Is that more complicated than it needs to be for my scenario? I can guarantee that the transaction volume will never increase to the point performance will be impacted, and that my proc will never be called from within another transaction. I'm not concerned about holes in the sequence, so if an index is allocated but never used then there is not a problem. I've not had much experience with explicit locking to date, so if you're telling me it won't do what I think, or there are repercussions I'm not aware of, then I'm all ears

• Kevin O'Donovan (12/4/2012)

Is that more complicated than it needs to be for my scenario? I can guarantee that the transaction volume will never increase to the point performance will be impacted, and that my proc will never be called from within another transaction. I'm not concerned about holes in the sequence, so if an index is allocated but never used then there is not a problem. I've not had much experience with explicit locking to date, so if you're telling me it won't do what I think, or there are repercussions I'm not aware of, then I'm all ears

Just take whatever you need. From what you say, it seems you can simplify your code using the example in that blog post:

ALTER PROCEDURE net.AllocateJobReference

(

@BaseRef char(4),

@Index integer OUTPUT

)

AS

BEGIN

UPDATE

dbo.JobRefAllocation WITH (READCOMMITTEDLOCK)

SET

@Index = LastUsed + 1,

LastUsed = LastUsed + 1

WHERE

RefBase = @BaseRef;

END;

• Cheers Paul. I went for a table lock because the base reference which determines which sequence to use is dynamic, so there's no guarantee that a row for that sequence exists when this is called. My concern was that two processes might simultaneously request a value for the same brand new sequence. It's highly unlikely to happen, but theoretically possible.

For reference, these values are used externally to the database, as booking identifiers sent to customers.

• I see. Well, the original code would certainly work, but perhaps consider:

SET @Index = 1;

MERGE

dbo.JobRefAllocation WITH (HOLDLOCK) AS JRA

USING

(SELECT @BaseRef) AS SRC (BaseRef)

ON JRA.RefBase = SRC.BaseRef

WHEN MATCHED THEN

UPDATE SET

@Index = JRA.LastUsed + 1,

LastUsed = LastUsed + 1

WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN

INSERT

(RefBase, LastUsed)

VALUES

(@BaseRef, @Index);

(The HOLDLOCK is to prevent a race condition).

• Thanks Paul, I will give that a go

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply