Talking baseball

• john.arnott (7/2/2012)

. . . you may have missed the group of guys in San Francisco who've adopted Melkie Cabrera. They attend games in all-white dairymen unis, complete with caps emblazoned "Melk Man" and bow-ties (orange, of course). I think it took a month or so for them to convince their wives/gf's/dates to join the gang and dress up too, as "Melk Maids".

Back when Melky played for the Yankees (he is missed here in New York, BTW), they used to sell t-shirts that read: "got melky?"

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/2/2012)

Slightly jealous of Ray. He lives close enough to Yankee Stadium to get to a game for the day, and he meets Mr. October. I still remember the 3 HRs in 3 bats as a kid.

It may be a day trip, but I still live far enough away that it requires a little planning!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/2/2012)

Visible proof

SWEET!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• john.arnott (7/2/2012)

What examples of creative fandom might there be in other ballparks?

David Cone had his coneheads[/url].

That whole 'Melk Men' thing is awesome.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Pettite and CC out, and the Yanks still near the top of MLB : http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

And the Rockies are officially in the doghouse. Tied for the worst record, behind KC, CIN, SEA, TOR, and WAS, usually the doormats of the league.

Glad my team is doing well. 3rd place, 5-4 after 9 games, including wins over the top 2 teams.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/6/2012)

Pettite and CC out, and the Yanks still near the top of MLB : http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

And the Rockies are officially in the doghouse. Tied for the worst record, behind KC, CIN, SEA, TOR, and WAS, usually the doormats of the league.

Glad my team is doing well. 3rd place, 5-4 after 9 games, including wins over the top 2 teams.

I think the Reds and the Nats will be shaking off that "doormats of the league" reputation over the next few years at least. Both are stocked with plenty of young talent and the Reds won 91 two years ago and the Nats are on a similar pace this year.

• Getting to this a lil late, been on vacation (and got to see Steve in person)...freakin' awesome for you, Ray!

The 'Melk Men' are a hoot...in SF there's also the 'Kung Fu Panda' (Pablo Sandoval), the Horse (Matt Cain), the Baby Giraffe (Brandon Belt) and of course, Wheeze (Brian Wilson). All come with some type of prop (hats, masks or huge beards).

The radio guys were rippin' the Melk Men and Maids for just wanting some TV time and actually taking away from the game, calling them out for not being 'real' fans. Everyone's got an opinion...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • roryp 96873 (7/6/2012)

I think the Reds and the Nats will be shaking off that "doormats of the league" reputation over the next few years at least. Both are stocked with plenty of young talent and the Reds won 91 two years ago and the Nats are on a similar pace this year.

Nats look good, just finished a sweep of the Gigantes. Last night, Giants had 'em 5-1 in the 7th, then 5-4 in the 9th with their "closer" in...they couldn't finish them off.

Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • So, not a week after I met Mr. October, I came across this article!

I guess it just goes to show that we all mellow out with age! 🙂

• SQLDCH (7/6/2012)

roryp 96873 (7/6/2012)

Nats look good, just finished a sweep of the Gigantes. Last night, Giants had 'em 5-1 in the 7th, then 5-4 in the 9th with their "closer" in...they couldn't finish them off.

I know it's very early into his career, but Harper looks like the real deal for them. He's putting up great numbers and he's only 19, but what has impressed me the most is hearing what he says in interviews. He always seems to say the right things, almost as if Crash Davis from Bull Durham is giving him interview tips.

• Hey SQLDCH, By "radio men" dissin' the Melk Men, do you mean the Giants crew? I had the impression that Krukow and Kuiper kinda liked them.

In other news, tomorrow (7/7) would have been the 106th birthday of Satchel Paige. Jamite Moyer's got to stick around, or at least come back in, another ten or so years to match Paige's feat of throwing three shutout innings to start a game for the KC Athletics at age 59 (9/25/1965).

• Fans of the Mighty Boston Red Socks, anyone?

• geek12 (7/9/2012)

Fans of the Mighty Boston Red Socks, anyone?

Hey calvo, where are you? You're being paged! 🙂

Not I -- I'm a fan of the Evil Empire!!! :w00t::hehe::-D

• geek12 (7/9/2012)

Fans of the Mighty Boston Red Socks, anyone?

Socks? That's the trouble with Spell Check -- it ain't a baseball fan.

I can needle a bit, I hope, as I'm as guilty as anyone of obvious errors. I referred to "Melkie" Cabrera the other day and didn't realize that my typing fingers had mangled Melky's name. Welcome to SSC and yes, there are definitely citizens of Red Sox Nation here (even if this Giants fan isn't one of them).

• Who? What?

I'm sticking with it, said it from the end of last year. Get rid of our starting pitchers, every last one of them. Get rid of them while they're still worth something. Bite the bullet and buy out Crawford's contract he's a injury magnet and a Tommy John surgery away from being useless.

Aside from them, we have great offense even with all the injuries. But you can't win every game with a combined ERA of 6.~.

I've been lucky enough to watch Bryce Harper play in person quite a few times. He's good, but he's not all that. He has hustle which is the best I can say for him. He's not a future hall-of-famer (yet) and he's not the best rookie by far. Mike Trout and Will Middlebrooks both outshine him on every level. I told a guy here that my prediction is that he's gone to a different team in 2 years. He's arrogant and immature, he's got a lot to learn about the game and the respect necessary to play it. He's gotten better since he was called up, but he's got a long way to go.

For the Nats, I'm excited they are doing well. But if you follow their games, their pitching staff wins every one of them. They don't usually score more than 2 runs in a game so they rely heavily on Zim, Strausburg, Gio and the likes. But I'm exited that they are winning, it makes the games pretty fun.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply