Talking baseball

• I too like Ichiro, never hear bad things about him. Kinda weird though, the whole thing happening in Seattle. One day he's 51, next day he's 31.

Wow. If Lester hit that many Yankees in a game, there'd be a brawl or finger pointing or ejections or some type of drama. Too bad for A-Rod. For as much as I don't like him (for being my sworn enemy!) it's kind of a bummer to be injured like that.

You guys see this? Youch!

I once heard an announcer give a hint how to tell when a batter is intentionally thrown at. Watch the catcher. If they go after the ball, it is not intentional. If the catcher doesn't move his glove, it's expected and intentional. It's amazing to see this in action to be able to tell when the pitcher is trying to bean someone on purpose or by accident (Watch Salty's glove).

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Handful of trades yesterday as contenders try to better themselves.

• calvo (7/25/2012)

Wow. If Lester hit that many Yankees in a game, there'd be a brawl or finger pointing or ejections or some type of drama. Too bad for A-Rod. For as much as I don't like him (for being my sworn enemy!) it's kind of a bummer to be injured like that.

It sucks. I have never liked people throwing at others, especially for BS like watching a home run. sucks for a-rod, and with all his issues the last couple years, I doubt he'll see 700 HRs.

That video reminds me of Rob Dibble. He was working with Dan Patrick when Wakefield gave up 6 HRs in a game (and won!). Dibble said if he'd ever have given up 4 in a game, he'd have started hitting people, just to stop the ball from leaving the yard.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/25/2012)

calvo (7/25/2012)

It sucks. I have never liked people throwing at others, especially for BS like watching a home run. sucks for a-rod, and with all his issues the last couple years, I doubt he'll see 700 HRs.

That video reminds me of Rob Dibble. He was working with Dan Patrick when Wakefield gave up 6 HRs in a game (and won!). Dibble said if he'd ever have given up 4 in a game, he'd have started hitting people, just to stop the ball from leaving the yard.

I agree Steve... never understood that thought process either. YOU were the one that gave them the pitch to hit.. the hitter is SUPPOSED to hit the ball... so... if there are back to back home runs you are supposed to strike out? Never got that.

• Oh man! It only took a double ejection, extra innings, and lady luck to pull it off but Boston took 2 of 3 in NY!

That's great news, it means we're only 9.5 games back instead of 11!

hehe

They're looking to get rid of Beckett.

seems, to me, a season too late. His value is down and people have caught on to his lacklester performances this year and september of last year. 15 million per year for two years is what we owe him. He can't be sent down to the minors and no one wants him... yay

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• calvo (7/30/2012)

Oh man! It only took a double ejection, extra innings, and lady luck to pull it off but Boston took 2 of 3 in NY!

hehe

They're looking to get rid of Beckett.

seems, to me, a season too late. His value is down and people have caught on to his lacklester performances this year and september of last year. 15 million per year for two years is what we owe him. He can't be sent down to the minors and no one wants him... yay

I wonder if anyone will trade for him.... Boston may have to eat most of what is left on his contract to move him.

• calvo (7/30/2012)

Oh man! It only took a double ejection, extra innings, and lady luck to pull it off but Boston took 2 of 3 in NY!

hehe

grumble, grumble, grumble.

The best days are when BOS loses. 😉

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/30/2012)

calvo (7/30/2012)

hehe

Funny Steve... everyone here (the large contingent of Indians fans...) would say every loss the Yankees have is a good day.... Me.. I am a Red's fan so it doesn't matter to me.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/30/2012)

calvo (7/30/2012)

hehe

well, their record shows they have more good days than bad. lol .... barely. (52/51)

• grumble, grumble, grumble.

The best days are when BOS loses.

+1

• nwerner (7/31/2012)

+1

+10 😀

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (8/3/2012)

nwerner (7/31/2012)

+1

+10 😀

hey hey hey!

Enough ganging up on me or I'm tellin' Steve!

• The topic of Derek Jeter comes up a lot with a coworker of mine. I think he's a pretty decent player. He holds a few club records and a few league records. Now I ask you, where do you think Jeter stands in comparison to players all time?

top 10?

top 25?

top 50?

nowhere close cuz he's not a superstar player?

• Great player, HOF worthy for his accomplishments over time (3K hits, games played, All stars, 5 gold gloves, WS MVP, Rookie of the year, etc. He's had clutch hits, including that great November HR.

All time, that's hard. I think biases come into play here. If you talk shortstops, he has to be in the top 5 somewhere. Honus, Ozzie, Ripkin I guess. Never a huge Ripkin fan, probably biased there. Some others, Banks for example, weren't just shortstops.

In terms of players, how do you even rank someone like Barry Bonds or Babe Ruth against a Denis Eckersly? It's silly, IMHO, and you have to go by position.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply