Talking baseball

• As far as a very strong team in the NL the Cardinals appear to be the strongest. Their one weakness last year was SS and they plugged that hole... Starting Pitching, Lead off, Runs scored, Hitting with runners in scoring position, bullpen.... they are strong. Granted, you still have to execute and play all 162 games... but man.... the only thing to watch for them is defense and can they shrug off the sophomore jinx as they have a handful of young talent that burst on the scene last season and tore it up.

• If he stays healthy Speaker could be in range.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Keith Tate (4/7/2014)

If he stays healthy Speaker could be in range.

Not sure he'd get 200 hits this year, but it's possible I guess. That would be something.

• As Keith said, he must stay healthy. In 2012 he had the most hits in a single season in his whole career, 216. If he can keep healthy then a top 5 on the list is possible, requiring 197 more hits. If he can do at least as good as his lowest single season total of 156, he's guaranteed #6.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/7/2014)

Keith Tate (4/7/2014)

Not sure he'd get 200 hits this year, but it's possible I guess. That would be something.

Not saying it is likely, but possible. I believe he gets 6th place all time.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Keith Tate (4/7/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/7/2014)

Keith Tate (4/7/2014)

Not saying it is likely, but possible. I believe he gets 6th place all time.

As much as I love Jeet, I don't see it happening. There's a reason why he's retiring after this year. I think he can pass Yaz, but not sure about Speaker.

Oh well, stranger things have happened!

Home opener in the Bronx today!!! I plan to listen to the game at work!!!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Giants leading league in HRs, wont be able to say that for much longer :-p

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • The Brewers swept the Red Sox over the weekend... WOW! :w00t:

• so it's been a few months since anyone posted here. I've been keeping up with the league but not as much as usual.

Having recently moved I was pleased to find out we are right next to a local NCAA sanctioned baseball club. They are a local-ish league that plays from june-august. I wasn't able to make it to the field for a game but I can't wait for next year.

I recently bought my son a t-ball set and play ball with him in the basement, hoping to get him hooked!

Boston is guarding the basement and is only a measly 11 games behind Baltimore. They've had quite a few injuries but no excuses, right? 😀

Last rumor I heard was Lester to LA for Kemp (blockbuster!)

And Big Papi is the only player who cannot admire his handy-work... haters.

This whole replay stuff isn't terrible but meh. The no collision rule is very subjective and cause for concern. With stuff like this going on, you can score without touching home! hopefully they continue to refine the rule and more clearly define its intent.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• calvo (7/29/2014)

Having recently moved I was pleased to find out we are right next to a local NCAA sanctioned baseball club. They are a local-ish league that plays from june-august.

Where'd you move? And what league? (I haven't been here much myself; now that I'm working as a full-time developer, I haven't had many excuses to peruse SSC, so I haven't been on here as much as I'd like.)

Locally, I have the Albany Twilight League, which, I believe, is also sanctioned by the NCAA (their rosters are populated by active collegiate players). I've been meaning to catch a league game, but haven't gotten to it. I only live a mile from the Tri-City ValleyCats ballpark (Houston Astros NY-Penn League affiliate), so I go to their games whenever I can.

I've already made trips to Fenway (vs. Oakland) and Yankee Stadium (vs. Baltimore) this year. Hoping to make it to Yankee Stadium one more time (and my last chance to see Jeter play)!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Jeter moves to 6th and I think that's where he stays. Can't see him getting 95 more this year, but it's been an amazing career.

• A big debate on the radio in CO: do the Rockies management do a good job? So many people are upset with them, and think they aren't spending $$ or trying.

However I looked back to 1995. Since 1995, when we first made the playoffs, 18 teams have made it to the World Series out of 30. The Rockies did it. We've also made the playoffs three years.

In a sport where it seems it's hard to get to the World Series, much less win it, I'm not sure the Rockies are horrible. they certainly can do better, but are they a doormat?

• It's the Aldie Senators[/url] who play in the Valley Baseball League. They are super close to me right now. We also have the Potomac Nationals (Washington Nationals Affiliate - Class A - Carolina League) a few miles down the road. Its one of those things where I am very lucky to have them so close but can't seem to find the time to catch a game.

• I think the Rockies might be at a disadvantage simply because of their geography. Pitching in thinner air a mile high puts quite a bit of stress on a pitching staff, even with baseballs out of a humidor.

I haven't been paying close enough attention to them to know how their management is doing. In any case, I think the best teams are those that are built for the long haul. Brian Cashman put together a good long-term team with the Core four, and Billy Beane has done quite a job with the moneyball approach. I think a management group that builds for the long-term and takes the thin air of Denver and uses it to their advantage would be successful. The fewer Jeff Lorias we have, the better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,366 through 1,380 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply