Talking baseball

• Haven't had time to really join the discussion here but holy cow! I'm all about rooting for the home team and the Royals were my home team at one point in time. I'm super excited for them and hope they can knock off the O-birds quickly and make a World Series appearance.

Nats, current home team, on the other hand, they have to win the next three to make it to the NLCS... It's going to be tough for them.

(disclaimer - my allegiance does not lie with this Yankee nation 😀 )

Jeter, meh. Good guy, sure. Future hall-of-famer, probably. Has the stats and numbers to back it up, debatable. He's just a guy who played a long time for the same team.

He has no real career chart topping numbers other than hits (6th), singles (5th), strikeouts (13th), salary (top 5 annually). In my opinion he was able to stay healthy for his career and played at an average level for the majority of the time. He didn't stand out in any one statistic but was able to play consistently, which when done, the numbers will follow. I'm sure if you sliced and diced the numbers enough, he'd end up first somewhere.

Staying healthy and playing baseball for 20 years is commendable. Being a reliably average player is a big deal, although it sounds negative I mean it in the most positive way. Being a good role model for young kids is commendable. These are the reasons he should be inducted in 7 years (or whatever time frame it is now), not because he had a farewell tour (ridiculous) or because there's lots of media hype surrounding him, not because he will be missed but because of the type of game he played, the time and effort he put forth, and the things he has done for the game.

Go Sox!

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Question for everyone...

When was the last time the Yankees or Boston were NOT in the playoffs? 1993 is my guess...

• calvo (10/6/2014)

(disclaimer - my allegiance does not lie with this Yankee nation 😀 )

Jeter, meh. Good guy, sure. Future hall-of-famer, probably. Has the stats and numbers to back it up, debatable. He's just a guy who played a long time for the same team.

Lots of clutch hits from him and some highly memorable plays. Not the best SS, probably not ever during any year in his career, but opportunities meant he could win games, multiple times, in the postseason.

Also, Mr. November, winning a game in Nov with an HR.

He's definitely a HOFer, and not just an average player. You don't get to 3,000 hits being average.

• I would have guessed the mid 90s as well. Had to look up the answer. While doing so another interesting fact "When was the last time an AL wild card slot did not feature a team from the AL East"

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• Rooting:

Dodgers/Nats

Royals/Os

and then Royals/Os series

Predicting:

Giants/Dodgers

with a Dodgers/Os series.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/6/2014)

Rooting:

Dodgers/Nats

Royals/Os

and then Royals/Os series

Predicting:

Giants/Dodgers

with a Dodgers/Os series.

Booooo! I never thought the Giants would make it this far, but I said the same thing in 2010, 2012. Who knows...it is an even numbered year, after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • Sometimes you don't pick the year... the year picks you.

Who would have picked the Royals to go into the playoffs and sweep away the best record in baseball the Angels. I think this is the first time the Royals have been in the playoffs since 1985. I am rooting for the underdog!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/6/2014)

Lots of clutch hits from him and some highly memorable plays. Not the best SS, probably not ever during any year in his career, but opportunities meant he could win games, multiple times, in the postseason.

Also, Mr. November, winning a game in Nov with an HR.

He's definitely a HOFer, and not just an average player. You don't get to 3,000 hits being average.

There are many references available explaining how being "clutch" is a myth that use Derek Jeter as a case study. That his post season performance is actually worse (slightly) than his regular season. And just looking at pure statistics he's had the most post season appearances with the most post season plate appearances and can't be considered a "clutch" hitter. He's average, all the time, no matter what. That's what makes him good. In fact, he has appeared in 158 post season games and has 200 hits in those games which is a handful shy of his regular season average.

In my opinion clutch is better defined as being able to remain consistent at all times regardless of situation.

I disagree that hitting 3,000 hits means you're a better player. I think it has to do with longevity. Perform average long enough without any injuries and you'll reach that point by the end of your career.

Players have reached that mark with a lower career batting average than Jeter, showing that if you stay consistently average for long enough you'll eventually reach that mark. If he reached 3000 hits in 17 years (~8,000 AB) now THAT would be an accomplishment. He'd also be a leader in batting average, on base percentage etc.

If other players above him on the all time batting average list could have stayed healthy for 20 years and played with the same consistency, Jeter wouldn't crack the top 100 in all time hits and the magic 3,000 wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The fact that he was able to play 20 years with only one injury costing him significant playing time (ankle in 2013), and stay consistent the whole time is remarkable and HoF worthy.

• And as far as Mr. November goes, just another Jeter hype name. For that series in 2001 (7 games) Jeter hit .148 with 27 AB over the 7 games. To put that in perspective, of the 6 players who played all 7 games during the same series, Jeter ranked last in BA and OPS. 5 of the 6 players in that group also had homeruns. Like Mr. Wonderful says (from Shark Tank.... anyone?) "the numbers don't lie".

And with that, I'm done with Jeter. See you as a class of 2019 HoF inductee. I actually think he might make a good broadcaster/commentator.

The Nationals lost which is sad but on the other hand, I'm glad they made it to the post-season again. It's good for this city and good for a small(ish) market team. I'm still confident that Bryce Harper will be in pinstripes shortly.

Royals - O's

Giants - Cardinals

I hope for some great games but I'm rooting for Kansas City and San Francisco. I'm tired of seeing the Cardinals in the series.

• World Series Game 1 to be held October 21st in Kansas City against the San Francisco Giants!

Hopefully a great series to watch.

Kansas City in 5 (part of me wants them to win it in 6 so they can do it at home)

• Giants win in dramatic fashion last night.

Rooting for KC.... who would have thought they would have won the AL back before Spring Training started.

• I'll go out on a limb and predict the Giants in 6. The Royals are on a hot steak that can't last.

I have no skin in the game. I don't care who wins. I just think the Royals are due for some losses.

I do want to see a competetive series.

Tom

• Rooting for another Giants victory. It seemed like only yesterday that my buddy and I were lamenting that they weren't gonna even make the playoffs.

Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • Kansas City in the World Series -- who would've thunk!!!

Funny thing -- there was once a time when I despised the Kansas City Royals -- 1980s/George Brett era. I was a kid in 1980 when Brett hit the 3-run dinger off the Goose in the ALCS. I went to bed crying that night -- I was a heartbroken kid! From that point on, I grew up hating George Brett and the Kansas City Royals! (I love the guy now!)

Having said that -- I agree that KC is due to lose a game, but I think they take the Series in 5. I'd like to say the Giants have a shot, but KC just has way too much momentum going into the Series right now.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Go KC. No real dog in the fight, but would be nice to see them win and saw a game in Kaufman this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,396 through 1,410 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply