TDE Certificate for DB Restore

• Dear All,

I have a query regarding restoring a TDE enabled Database on another SQL instance.
    I understand to restore a TDE DB , we also have to import the Certificate in the target master DB.

Questions:: 
    1. Should this be done on every restore or this could be a one time activitiy only. Meaning, import the Cert only once.
    2. I assume cert needs a password, so if password has been changed since last restore, then cert needs to be imported again?

Thanks.

• One time import. The thumbprint is the same thumbprint.

If the password changes, do you mean the password for the backup of the cert? Or the certificate itself? If you have the certificate encrypted by the database master key in master, you're fine. Or you should be. I'll try to test.

You might need to do this, but certainly keep track of the pwd. In case of DR, you shouldn't necessarily depend on any particular server.

• Thanks for the Feedback Steve..

If the password changes, do you mean the password for the backup of the cert? Or the certificate itself? If you have the certificate encrypted by the database master key in master, you're fine. Or you should be. I'll try to test.
    -- Password for the Certificate itself.
       I believe the  Pwd for Backup cert is for safety - in case of any DB issues.

• From what I understand, if you're changing the password, I believe this means you're exporting the cert again with a new password on the private key file. That's essentially a backup. I don't think you can actually change the password in place, but I may be wrong.

I don't believe this changes the cert at all, just that this means that if you need to import this on a new instance, you'd need the new password. However, the existing cert in master should still decrypt the TDE files/backups.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply