Teach myself SSIS

• I have SQL Server Express 2008, what do I need to install to begin using SSIS?

• Hi,

The workgroup edition only has primitive import and export capabilities. As far as I can confirm, if you want to create SSIS packages using any data transformations you need to get SQL standard edition or higher.

Please check the feature comparisation chart at here: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/compare.aspx

• Now that that's settled, what would you have done in SSIS if you could have used it?

Sorry... didn't see the title of this thread which explains that.

My recommendation would be to buy a copy of the "Developers Edition" of SQL Server. It's about $45USD, is actually the "Enterprise Edition" with special licensing, and works on standard windows (no windows server required).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thank you for the response.

• SSIS, being mostly visual in terms of the programming techniques, can sometimes be difficult to get started. This site has been a favorite of mine for a while, and I refer people to it often. Hopefully you find some of the content useful:

SQL Share > SSIS

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• SQL Server Central also has a stairways series from Andy Leonard.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/72494/

• Heh... crud. Two decent links to how to learn it. That probably means that I'm going to have to spend some time learning about it. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/10/2012)

Heh... crud. Two decent links to how to learn it. That probably means that I'm going to have to spend some time learning about it. 😛

Whoa, you are at risk of having to turn in your "Hardcore Data-troll Card" :w00t:

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (4/10/2012)

Jeff Moden (4/10/2012)

Heh... crud. Two decent links to how to learn it. That probably means that I'm going to have to spend some time learning about it. 😛

Whoa, you are at risk of having to turn in your "Hardcore Data-troll Card" :w00t:

Heh... don't bet on it. I'll use it to drive stored procedures. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Any chance it turns your world inside-out and gets you away from using BULK INSERT and xp_cmdshell, and instead onto using an OLE DB Destination with fast-load and the Execute Process Task?

--Plato

• Heh... "It Depends!"

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Gotta bookmark this thread. SSIS is next on my SQL learning expedition!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (4/10/2012)

Gotta bookmark this thread. SSIS is next on my SQL learning expedition!

Awesome! Two outspoken anti-RBAR-advocates in one thread threatening to learn SSIS, I might fall over :hehe:

EDIT: to clarify my position, I resisted it at first, passionately, but quickly found a place for SSIS in my environments firmly rooted in high-performance large-scale data processing

--Plato

• opc.three (4/11/2012)

dwain.c (4/10/2012)

Gotta bookmark this thread. SSIS is next on my SQL learning expedition!

Awesome! Two outspoken anti-RBAR-advocates in one thread threatening to learn SSIS, I might fall over :hehe:

EDIT: to clarify my position, I resisted it at first, passionately, but quickly found a place for SSIS in my environments firmly rooted in high-performance large-scale data processing

Heh... Maybe I'll change my mind when I get into it but, right now, it's more of a "know thy enemy" move on my part. 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Awesome! Two outspoken anti-RBAR-advocates in one thread threatening to learn SSIS

I am honored to be included in any sentence with a SQL MVP, especially Jeff who has been extremely encouraging and supportive since I joined this community!

Oh wait! Was that just my ego making a bad assumption? 😎

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply