Temp DB FULL

• Hi Friends

My Production Server Temp DB Is full How can i shrinke that database any plz tel me step by steps

T&R

KU

• There are a few ways to do this, but they either involve restarting SQL server or making sure that there is no activity happening on the tempdb database. This may be difficult on a production db and may require a scheduled outage.

Check out this KB article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307487

• Hi Could any body help me how i can solve this temp db in Production server

• See Steve's suggestion. Call an outage and restart the services/server. It'll rebuild tempdb. Can you determine what's filling it up (maintenance job? runaway query?) or are you dead in the water?

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• add additional file

• truncate the Temp db & change the recovery model to simple

• dba_ch (8/7/2008)

add additional file

This will work only if it's added to a different physical drive that has space available....

• ch.mohni (8/7/2008)

truncate the Temp db & change the recovery model to simple

TempDB's recovery mode is always set to simple....

-- Edit - The most important lesson to be taken from this thread is to find out what is causing it to grow. If it's normal business process, add more disk. If it's not normal, correct the problem. A lot of work takes place in TempDB and, as stated, if it fills up and cannot grow, the server will stop responding until you do something to correct the issue.

• Exactly Said.. Tempdb cant be changed to any other recovery mode, it is always set to Simple.

You could shrink the file or bounce the SQL Instance... 🙂

• Kumar (8/8/2008)

You could shrink the file or bounce the SQL Instance... 🙂

If the file is full (no free space within) then shrinking the file (releasing free space within the file to the file system) is not going to do anything.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply