temp files in database

• I have just launched a new client server application (Sql2000). I noticed two strange behaviors:

first two and sometimes even four tmp files are added to the data base file itself

second, when a new folder is created in the database, some users can search for it and others can not. What I noticed is that in such instance the number of the tmp files is usually four

Any help?

• What are you talking about?

How are temp files added to the database file?  How are you looking in the database file to determine if there are .tmp files?

There is no concept of folders in the database.  How are users searching?

• I am sorry, I had to be more clear. When I look at the data base tables i notice the following table names: "~TMPCLP216731" , "~TMPCLP376821" this is just an example because sometimes they are more than that

I meant by folders is that I had a table called travel folders and when users create a folder in the table, some users can find it and others can not

• All temporary tables are created in tempdb. what database are you looking in?  How are you looking?  With QA? With EM?  What does this query return:

select * from sysobjects where name like '~TMP%'

order by name

What is the definition of the 'travel folders' table?  How are rows being added?  How are user's searching for the rows in the table?

• I found those tables when I was looking at the database with Enterprise Manager

Those tables contain some rows of select statement but because they are inconsistent they keep poping up

The travelfolder is the master table in my database and has a primary identity column (folderID) with a lot of other columns and a file number column which is constructed from the date column in the table as 000(number)/month/year and this is what the users are using for search.

The rows are being added through Microsoft Access Project front end

• I would say they are some sort of temporary table created by the access frontend.

As far as some users seeing rows and other not, there could be open transactions.  This allows a user to see his own updates but other users are blocked from seeing them. 

Do you have any sample data and/or queries that can demonstrate the problem the users are seeing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply