Temp table loading in a proc

• Hi,

I'm reviewing a few cases where temp tables get created, loaded with about 100K records, then have an index created on those tables for farther manipulation.

If the index is not specified as clustered ex. "create index my_index on #my_table(f1, f2, f3)" and the fields are used in a join, would it make sense to

1. build it as a clustered index

2. build it before loading the table

???

Thanks

• Actually the first test would be to see if removing it helps.

Step 2 would be to see where and how that table is used.

Most of the time when you use intermediary table you need to touch all the rows so indexing here rarely helps.

Stats on the other hand could really help build the correct execution plan later on when you use that table.

The only way to tell is to see the actual execution plan.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (10/18/2011)

Actually the first test would be to see if removing it helps.

Most of the time when you use intermediary table you need to touch all the rows so indexing here rarely helps.

Stats on the other hand could really help build the correct execution plan later on when you use that table.

So basically because it's just 100K records everything will be loaded into memory?

• Lexa (10/18/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (10/18/2011)

Actually the first test would be to see if removing it helps.

So basically because it's just 100K records everything will be loaded into memory?

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from what was posted but nope... it depends. If there's room for it, then maybe.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• No because indexing 100K rows takes a whole lot of ressources.

Quite often the index is useless, because you scan the whole temp table when joining to something else, apart from the stats that are derived from it which are usefull to the optimizer to guess the load.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply