temp tables versus memory optimized

• Data warehouse team has a large SSIS package which needs to access a temp type table, about 2 million rows and about 400 MB. (this is enterprise edition). From a DBA perspective the question may be which would be better a #temp table (wondering since this table would be referenced 4 times in the package by different steps) whether or not a ##temp or #temp table is even viable), or a memory optimized table. Server is a new high end dell with SSD and 192 gig of RAM. Their current SSIS ETL unfortunately creates this same table 4 times and kills memory (Yes I realize this may be a design issue) more interested if anyone has done any comparisons between the temp table and the memory optimized solution

• Google found this for me:

Temp Tables vs Table Variables vs Memory Optimized Table Variables[/url]

• Testing locally with your system is the only way to be sure. It really depends on if the process is loading the temp tables/table variables once or updating them constantly. You're going to get different behaviors if you need statistics than if you don't. Without seeing your code at all, testing is the only advice I can give.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply