TempDB database log

• On a SQL Server 2000 server for the system 'tempdb' database, we have it setup as 'simple', the database size grew for some reason to it's max allowed size. The log is 1 GB, total database/data is two files , one is 1 GB the other is 5 GB. Since this is the tempdb database is there any regular maintenance that is necessary?

We need to move the 5 GB file to a different drive -- do I have to wait until I can cycle the SQL Server to get rid of the file?

• You could empty the file of data to other files in the filegroup. Once that is complete, then you could remove the file and add another file in its place. Alternatively - you could add a 3rd file to the file group in the new location. With the new file added, you will buy yourself some time until the next maintenance window to be able to properly treat the situation.

Moving of files, I would recommend doing during a database outage window.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Look at the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071

Look at the section Moving the tempdb database.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Thank you both. I added the third file and ran a remove statement on the one I want to get rid of;my answer is that 'yes' I do have to wait till I can cycle the SQL Server before I remove the physical file.

• You're welcome.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply