TEMPDB.ldf will not shrink

• We are running a two node Active/Active SQL Server 2008 R2 cluster. The TEMPDB.ldf will not shrink below 8 GB on one of the instances. I have tried restarting the SQL Server service. I have tried moving all resource to one node and and rebooting the preferred active node that the instance resides on. I have renamed the TEMPDB.ldf and restarted the service. I have deleted the TEMPDB.ldf and restarted the service. Nothing causes the "ldf" file to reset. The "mdf" does reset. Any advice as to how to reset the size of this "ldf" file would be greatly appreciated.

• What's the default size of the file?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Here is a useful link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307487

Without knowing actual sizes I would start with Option 3, if that does not work then you'll have to resort to Option 1. Do not even mess with Option 2.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hi Rudy,

I actually saw that link, but thank you for sending it to me. It ended up being Open Transaction. I should have checked that first... I guess you live and learn. Thanks again to you and everyone that replied. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

Charlie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply