Temporary Network

• Greetings All,

I need to create a temporary and stand-alone network for a two-day training session.  The server will be a Win2K box, with SP4.  SQL Server 2000 SP3 needs to be the only functional/accessible program on the server. 

Client machines need to be able to connect to this server and be able to connect to SQL Server through ODBC.

There will be no Internet connection.

Security is not an issue as this machine will contain only the shared data that is to be used through SQL.

Up to 16 connections will be available through a 16-port switch.  Some connections will be with available laptops, which can be configured prior to the training session.  Others may have their own laptops, so they will also need to be able to access the ad hoc network.

I'm looking for any assistance from anyone that may have completed something similar.

Please let me know if any other information is needed.  Again, connection and use with SQL Server is the goal of this network.

Regards,

Dave

• Just install SQL on one of the servers, people can connect via IP or the NetBIOS name.

• Thanks. 

I'm able to connect to SQL via IP address, but cannot connect via name.  Does this pose any problems?

• Nop, not at all. If you want to use name, register the server by using "SQL Server Client Network Utility" and name whatever you want.

Still you should be able to use NetBios name but I like SQL Alais. Easy to maintain and easy to test.

• To use a name you need to ask your network admins to create a record foryour server on DNS server. I also tested creating a DNS alias which is not a machine name but a nice name. We usually use DNS aliases for the Web, but it works fine with SQL Server

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply