Terminating Transactions

• I have a third party application that writes data to my SQL Server database on a regular basis resulting in a hundred new records a day. Periodically, there is a process that triggers the third party application to write a thousand records a day.

Is there a way for my SQL Server to recognize the spike in transaction activity and terminate all transactions during the spike in activity?

Please advise.

• A thousand records is hardly a spike for most hardware running SQL Server. What problems are you experiencing? Do you actually mean 'terminate', or just 'freeze' and perhaps you mean 'process' rather than 'transaction'?

Just clarifying things, as terminating anything as a result of a fairly small INSERT seems a little draconian.

Regards

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• In my numbers I was just trying to simplify my issue so that I can get directly to my point. The numbers are actually in the millions of transactions when it spikes and that is hogging the server's resources.

This spike in activity is rare, but I want to protect my server's resources and identify when this occurs so that I can prevent the spike in transactions.

The third party software records information about the client pcs on the network periodically. It is when we rollout some new items to these clients that we experience these spikes. I know that there is some things that can be done with the third party application, but I don't want to depend on an external control to protect my server. It should come from my server itself.

• Windows server 2003 has a resource management utilities that will solve your problem

gy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply