Text Editor Environment Settings Being Overridden

• Hi,

I'm working on a standard Win XP desktop, connecting directly to an SQL Server via SSMS. In order to connect to the server I have to run SSMS with a different user account as my local account does not have sufficient rights.

When I connect, the color scheme applied in the text editor is different to the settings chosen under Tools > Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors (which are all set to the defaults). Plain text is shown in Teal and system tables are a particularly eye-burning lime green. Changing the settings to non-defaults has no effect. When I open SSMS with the local account, I have the defaults back.

Looking at my screen is making me feel queasy. It looks vaguely like a 1990's teenage girl fansite.

Something must be overriding the SSMS settings. I have no idea what though. Does anyone here?

Regards, Iain

PS, just in case it's relevant:

Help > About...

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2007.0100.1600.022 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1132.00 (xpsp.080413-0852)

Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3623

Operating System 5.1.2600

• Is the account you are using to connect local admin on your workstation?

• Unfortunately, no. My local account has limited privileges. This is why I'm connecting to SQL with a different account. The SQL account is an admin account. I'm not allowed to log into the local workstation with this account.

Thanks, Iain

• The product version 10.0.1600.22 level is RTM, can you try using from another machine which will have SP2 for SQL 2008 in this case. There are few issues fixed with tools since RTM of SQL 2008.

-Satya SK Jayanty
    SQL Server MVP (Follow me @sqlmaster)
    Author of SQL Server 2008 R2 Administration CookBook
    SQL Server Knowledge Sharing network

• Hi Satya,

Unfortunately, this isn't an option - I have to work with the machine and spec that I have. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Iain

Edit: derp

• irobertson (9/2/2011)

Unfortunately, no. My local account has limited privileges. This is why I'm connecting to SQL with a different account. The SQL account is an admin account. I'm not allowed to log into the local workstation with this account.

Thanks, Iain

You don't need to log into your workstation with the account, but you need to give that account the same rights your "normal" account has on you workstation, I think that, that may help, but I'm not sure that will solve your problem. Nevertheless it is worth to give it a try. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply