The Active DBA

• Mark Horninger (8/8/2008)

Thayal Muhunthan (8/8/2008)

Is there anything that we can use or do while working on our desks ?

Thayal,

I'll drop and do 10 pushups in my office a couple of times a day. Not as much benefit, but it wakes me up when coffee starts to wear off.

I think more than anything it has to do with doing something you enjoy, which helps to get your butt out of the chair. However, I used to (and plan to again - soon) follow the Body For Life regimen, which is basically 1) eat 5 small meals daily, 2) don't eat any crap except for once a week on your "free day", then go nuts and eat whatever you want and 3) exercise 6 days a week, but alternating between 20 minutes of cardio one day; one hour (approximately) in weight training on the alternate days.

Doesn't seem possible that only putting in an hour 3xs a week and 20 minutes the other 3 should work, but it really does. I just got lazy when I got married and wanted to lay around doing nothing.

This is a very important discussion, Steve, thanks for bringing it up - as a member of the healthcare field, diabetes and obesity are rampant, and cause innumerable health problems as people get older. You don't have to be an olympic athlete, just consistent activity makes a huge difference in preserving your body.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Some reason I feel the same, Martial arts and IT have very same characteristics and give you the ability to concentrate and self confidence.

I was in double mind to attend Martial classes again, but this thread helped me to make the decesion.

Thanks for the guys contributed on Martial arts.

Thayal

• About 10 years ago, I could say that I was fit. I worked out at the gym four nights a week, played a lot of volleyball, jogged in the mornings, and hiked in the mountains (the Rockies in Colorado). Now, I am 30 lbs overweight and a poster boy for sublime laziness. Of course, having open heart surgery certainly didn't help much. Nor did the leg and hand injuries which still bother me to this day. Two months ago I started walking the dog in the evenings. We walk about 2 miles, and I usually end up limping a bit from shin splints or that annoying bone spur on my heel. OTOH, it *is* exercise and probably the best way to start back into a regimen for a 47-year-old programmer.

• GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

Someguy (8/8/2008)

I'm surprised how many of the readers here are into martial arts.

There's an interesting correlation between IT (and the wider science field) and martial arts. When I was at university, one year we found that all the members of the aikido were Faculty of Science students or staff.

Perhaps the knowledge that the DBA is an avid student of the various arts of stylishly beating the living daylights out of people is an incentive to re-examine one's complaint for signs of wilful stupidity.

Or, to paraphrase, don't argue with someone who can give you more pain than they'll receive.

😉

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat

• majorbloodnock (8/8/2008)

GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

Someguy (8/8/2008)

There's an interesting correlation between IT (and the wider science field) and martial arts. When I was at university, one year we found that all the members of the aikido were Faculty of Science students or staff.

Perhaps the knowledge that the DBA is an avid student of the various arts of stylishly beating the living daylights out of people is an incentive to re-examine one's complaint for signs of wilful stupidity.

Or, to paraphrase, don't argue with someone who can give you more pain than they'll receive.

😉

Or alternate interpretation - we're all masochists

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (8/8/2008)

majorbloodnock (8/8/2008)

GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

Someguy (8/8/2008)

😉

Or alternate interpretation - we're all masochists

"Hit me!", said the masochist

"No.", said the sadist

😀

• Soccer is what I call a '3-fer' sport. Tremendous fitness sport, with

some comraderie and intellectual stimulation thrown in for free. People

struggle with the gymn because it's boring, but you get as good or

better aerobic workout from soccer, and it's something you actually

look forward to. Not everyone knows it, but it is a brainy game, too.

The time commitment is the main drawback if you play an organized (league)

form of the game. but there are a lot of pickup games that accomodate

the schedule as well as the gym does.

• [font="Verdana"][/font][/font]Wow, you guys are really athletic! I'm a newbie to the postings, but I thought I'd jump in. I bought a Wii Fit recently, and it's been great fun, especially since I live in Baton Rouge, LA, where the temps are humidly miserable during the summer. My daughter and I do the Yoga and Balance games together.

• Soccer.

I manage a competitive ladies team and I take part in all the training sessions. Keeps me out of the pub working up a sweat to get back into the pub.

• majorbloodnock (8/8/2008)

GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

Someguy (8/8/2008)

😉

I haven't noticed it helping much. The complainers just stand a couple steps further away.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

Someguy (8/8/2008)

😉

I haven't noticed it helping much. The complainers just stand a couple steps further away.

😛

That's why they invented Kendo...

• I paid for a year gym suscription, I decide to do that becasuse this gym has nice activities, like spinning, yoga, abs and belt, working out, fight do, running, tracking, etc.. I try to do 5 to 6 times a week, and I try to combine these classes during my training. Well hope to find a good hobbie, rutine, exercise that fit with yourself..

• I also do martial arts training three days a week - it's a great way to relieve the stresses of the day. I also like to ride bikes with my daughter when the weather is good. I use to play soccer (football for you Brits) and would like to start up again, but haven't found the time to do so.

• Someguy (8/8/2008)

I'm surprised how many of the readers here are into martial arts. I hope I don't run into any in a dark alley after my next tech conference. :w00t:

I try to go on a treadmill at least 3x per week. One with a TV nearby so I can catch up on news or whatever.

I used to enjoy hiking and I should probably get back into that. I think excercise works best when it has some soft of enjoyable element.

Are you kidding. You want one of us at your back IN a dark alley... I can find the nearest exit faster. Remember the old joke: I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun YOU.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

Someguy (8/8/2008)

😉

Yeah, same here. They step outside the cubicle away from an easy lunge to ask for something silly.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply