The Active DBA

• Beer, Pool, Beer, work on house, Beer, work on garden, Beer, ride motorcycle, Beer, talk with good friends, Beer, fishing, Beer, answer questions on the forum, Beer, more pool, Beer, work on special personal projects, Beer, 12 ounce curls... 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/10/2008)

Beer, Pool, Beer, work on house, Beer, work on garden, Beer, ride motorcycle, Beer, talk with good friends, Beer, fishing, Beer, answer questions on the forum, Beer, more pool, Beer, work on special personal projects, Beer, 12 ounce curls... 😛

Hmmm. Not enough fluids..... 😉

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat

• Biking/running to work would work great in Malta, as travel distances are so small. I could walk it in 25mins from home to work.

Unfortunately, we don't have showers are work, and as the temp here ranges from ~65F in winter to >100F in summer @ ~95% rel humidity, it wouldn't be a great idea to present myself at work drenched in sweat!

George

• The closest I get to physical fitness these days is walking my dogs 3-4 times per day. Between a bum knee, arthritic hips, heel spurs, a neck injury (caused by a chiropractor, no less!), an arthritic elbow and a permanent injury to one wrist (legacy of a time when I worked in a lumber yard), I'm pretty much glad I can still do that! (And, lest anyone wonder, I'm not even all that old. 39 years. The early arthritis is inherited, started when I was in my 20s, and there are times when I strongly dislike my ancestors because of it.)

On the subject of martial arts and such, I regularly practice the ancient and honorable art of Click-Click-Bang. 🙂 I'm not very good at it, but it is fun.

I used to be into a more physically active lifestyle. Never competitive sports, because I've just never been anything more than horrible at them, but plenty of other stuff. When I lived on a farm, bailing hay, digging ditches, splitting firewood, milking goats and cows (by hand, not a machine), riding horses, etc., kept me in shape. After that, I had a lot of fun cliff and mountain climbing, and long hikes (did 36 miles one day). But I haven't really been up to any of that for at least the last five years.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I played soccer for ten years in Argentina, nearly a professional activity due to the amount of time required. When I started the university I played indoor soccer, but I played basketball, tenis, run thriatlon competitions and marathon competitions and windsurf.

At 33 I've needed 2 surgeries in both knees in the last years, I broke my right ankle 6 years ago, and I have some problems with my shoulders and elbows due to the tennis. That's the reason I came back to swimming, and now I'm really training three times a week with a lot of results. It's a great sports to avoid injuries, you can lose weight training all parts of your body, get a good shape in a safe way.

• GSquared:

I can sympathize. We do what we can with what we have. When I walk the dog, I often still get an annoying shin splint feeling in my left leg. WTF? I'm just walking. Then again, I am walking a large dog on a short leash. Time is unforgiving, and your ancestors surely did something to tweak the odds against you. Best of luck!

• I wasn't the atheltic type when I was younger. Getting involved in soccer has changed that. Realizing that many of the refs I work with are in their 40's and older (we even have some in their late 60's and early 70's), has made me realize the importance of physical health. Everyone of these people are still mentally sharp even if they can't keep up with the youngsters playing on the field. They make for the lack of mobility with knowing where to be on the field before play gets there. At 49 (almost), I can out run some of the older refs, but that will change as time continues it inevitable creep. Right now, I am in surprisingly good shape, and I plan on doing things to keep it that way. I want to be around to spoil my grandkids and great grandkids as well!

😎

• Lynn Pettis (8/11/2008)

I can out run some of the older refs...

not necessary, if the game gets ahead of you, just throw a card or call 'offsides'! 😛

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• lol :hehe:

You either ref yourself, or seen an older ref do that. Only problem, we may be god on the field, but we do need to keep control of the game, and not influence the outcome of the game by our calls (OR lack of, can't count how many times a player complained about being fouled (prior to shooting) after they took a shot on goal. "Hey, you got your shot, can't help it you missed.").

😎

• GSqaured,

Sorry to hear that and hope you have some great memories. I know as I get older, things hurt, it becomes harder and harder to stress the body. I've learned to slow down a bit, be a little more careful, and try not to damage the limbs any more than they are.

• I used to ref youth league when I was in high school. My personal favorite was on a 7-9 yr old girls game, and one of the coaches told his girls to bite the other team. (yep, you read that right) The other coach got pissed and they started slugging each other. The other 15-year-old kid and I looked at each other and both said "That's your side of the field"

We just let them get tired of it, and eventually one of the older refs came over to kick them out.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• That is sad. Did you guys keep refing after that? My older two are/were refs, and both have quit because of nasty coaches/parents. The money was nice, but they didn't need the aggravation. Me, I've thrown coaches and parents out, no problems, even been thamked by some parents from the offending team after the game.

😎

• jcrawf02 (8/11/2008)

Lynn Pettis (8/11/2008)

I can out run some of the older refs...

not necessary, if the game gets ahead of you, just throw a card or call 'offsides'! 😛

Hey, experience shouldn't make that necessary, especially if you are doing a 2 referee system and you only really need to handle a little more than 1/2 the field. You should be able to anticipate the play at least a bit.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Lynn Pettis (8/11/2008)

That is sad. Did you guys keep refing after that? My older two are/were refs, and both have quit because of nasty coaches/parents. The money was nice, but they didn't need the aggravation. Me, I've thrown coaches and parents out, no problems, even been thamked by some parents from the offending team after the game.

😎

The kids are only a problem when the adults are. I've umpired since I was 13 and officiated soccer, basketball, and flag football over the years and in that time about 25 years, I've never had to resort to tossing anyone, at least not that I can remember. I've handed out a few T's and some yellow cards, but in general I've had good experiences. Of course I have also coached and been a fan that has tended to be loud and opinionated about calls so I tend to take a lot of grief as an official because of that. I have to add that I have never done that at below the HS level.

My worst one was reffing a 3rd and 4th grade basketball tournament as volunteer. I had one fan start to get obnoxious and I told them that if they really didn't like the job I was doing they could have my whistle as I wasn't there to take the abuse for nothing. The bad part was that they complained to the tournament organizer and she came and chastised me. Needless to say I let her know that, as a volunteer and an official, I should be the one getting her support, and if I was not going to get it, I would no longer be a volunteer.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Most games I do are DSC, not dual whistle (or like we do at the High School varsity level (JV does dual whistle) here in Colorado, Double Dual (3 whistle, no AR's with flags).

We either have to keep up with play, or rely on younger and faster AR's on the touchlines. You'r right, with the dual whistle, it is easier, but you still need to keep up with play as they attack the goal on your side of the field. If seen complacent Ref's that would let play pass them up and then try to make calls while out of position.

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply