The Average Joe

• 50% of people are of average or below average intellect. Seems quite a good 'excuse' for people to be average / below average at their job!

Here in the UK, I believe 'The Sun' (tabloid, Murdoch) ran a shock horror story a few years back saying that 50% of the country was below average weight, and wasn't it a scandal. :ermm:

• The average level of skill of IT workers is well below the professional level of skill needed to do the job right.

My complaint is that so few make ANY effort to get better.

• david_wendelken (2/17/2010)

That's the same reason why most IT folks rarely buy a new book or journal, and certainly never read one if they can help it.

At my previous company I maintained a cupboard full of database-related books. I was the only one who ever read them.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • david_wendelken (2/17/2010)

Local user groups are composed of 1% of the IT professionals in an area, tops. Why? Because most people are too lazy to get off their butts and go learn something.

That's the same reason why most IT folks rarely buy a new book or journal, and certainly never read one if they can help it.

I totally agree. One of the things I find most distasteful about the IT profession is the suspicion, indifference or actual hostility often poured on anything that might be called scientific or theoretical knowledge. Knowledge is valued far too little in our profession, while vastly over-rated importance is attached to dubious "experience" instead. So much so that anyone who demonstrates real knowledge of a subject can find themselves facing criticism or abuse for being "too theoretical" especially in online communities.*

This has been a trend for some time and I still find such attitudes absolutely astonishing. Can you imagine a doctor or an architect or an engineer criticising someone for knowing and using the sciences of their respective professions? Those people are not just expected to know the fundamentals of their professions, they are absolutely required to do so. And yet IT professionals work in a world which far more than most others is governed by fundamental scientific and mathematical laws! Go figure!

(* For the avoidance of doubt, my above comments are not aimed at any particular individuals in this or other forums. This is just my general impression formed over a period of years)

• At one company, I convinced the CIO to budget 4 hours per week, per developer, for self-directed technical or business learning.

Staff were directed to pick their time and schedule their assigned tasks around their training hours. Management actually lived by those rules.

I was the only one who made use of it.

• As a professional IT trainer, I am shocked to see the number of DBA's with 10 or more years of experience that come in to get training on the newest products only to find out that they had not even HEARD of half of the new features, much less learned how to use them, even though they work with the product every day, all day.

But that really goes to the heart of the discussion. IT is my third (and probably final?) career. Everywhere I have ever worked, a majority have no interest in doing more than the minimum. Is that really so bad? When I was in the Army from 1984 to 1987 I learned something important about life. It is normal and necessary for the majority to simply "do their job" because not everyone can be a leader and on top. There is only so much room for leadership.

I think many recognize that they are not (and perhaps cannot ever be) in the top 10 percent so why even try? Well, I think it is a self-fulfilling prophecy that generally starts when they are quite young and can only be overcome by the best environment of mentors, friends and family urging us on to be something more with the true belief that it is possible. I would like every one of my students to become Senior DBA's and Senior Sys Admins but the odds (and their own attitudes) are against it and many learn early on that it is "just not worth the effort".

For me, the joy of being in this line of "work" is that it is never boring and the challenges are endless. For the few of us that enjoy continuous growth and new vistas in IT, it is hard to relate to the mentality of settling. But that is the general human condition and there is little need, in my opinion, to change that. The only thing I would add to that, however, is that companies that manage to motivate a MAJORITY of their employees are the Googles and Microsofts of tomorrow. It is a mix of magic, luck and hard work that few will ever see. I hope someday to create it. What we are all really talking about is the heart of the entrepreneur and even those who truly love this business and give it everything have a small chance of phenomenal success...BUT we can (and often do) have moderate success which has rewards that the masses of mediocrity can only dream about. So let them wallow in mediocrity if they choose to ignore your words of advice and offers of mentoring. You will only shine that much more if they choose to crawl while you learn to fly.

But it would be nice if I didn't have to fly alone so much 🙂 I would love to bring some friends along to share the view!

Never stop learning and fly with me!!!

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• I once worked for a new director who made it clear that when it came time for the annual performance review, a number of points would be based on the effort the person made to improve their knowledge/skills, with bonus points if you also tried to improve the knowledge/skills of others in the department. He was also the type of director who would help you achieve this.

I couldn't believe how so few people tried to learn more. Most expected the company to do everything for them.

Unfortunately, this director left the company for a better position.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• It is really surprising how few people will make an effort to continue improvement, even when all the tools are handed to you. The training center I work at will let me take any class free and pay for my exams. Of course I do as much as I possibly can but many don't. Even more surprising are the students who spend 10's of 1000's of dollars and when I tell them, "All you have to do to succeed is do this list of things and I will help you in most any way you need", so few will ever avail themselves of the offer. I freely offer my own time outside of class to spend all the time they need to catch up and understand about any topic they struggle with, but only 1 or 2 per class bother. Just human nature, in general. I am always sure to get my money's worth and more...

Peter Trast

• No question there's a pile of anecdotoal evidence to suggest that lots of people aren't showing ambition and let opportunity sit on the table. That said, I'm not ready to picture humanity that way.

What matters more I think is that there are lots of people who are bogged down - much like a lawnmower when the grass is too soggy - and who are in a slump. We've got to find a way to help those people take it to the next level.

Bill Nicolich: www.SQLFave.com.
    Daily tweet of what's new and interesting: AppendNow

• My comments are not meant as a putdown to the human race, btw 🙂 After all, I am a member... But I have observed that most people will tend to choose comfort over pain and learning can be painful while it is generally much easier to just sit at home and watch football on the tube. I, too, have lazy tendencies but I overcome them by realizing and acting on the realization that rewards come with work -- not just my fair share of work but going above and beyond almost every day, to be the kind of person that I would want working for ME; a problem solver, not just a problem finder; a mentor not just a student; and most especially, an advocate and enabler of those who show the desire to be a little something more, to give them what little I have to give and to enjoy the fruits of their success vicariously. When all men strive for greatness, all flourish.

But how often does that happen?... my experience says it is the exception rather than the rule and I see no need to expect otherwise. Sad but true...

"Come fly with me!" - Jimmy Van Heusen

Peter Trast

• ... that is the general human condition and there is little need, in my opinion, to change that... the masses of mediocrity can only dream about... so let them wallow in mediocrity if they choose to ignore your words of advice and offers of mentoring. You will only shine that much more if they choose to crawl while you learn to fly.

Really there's little point to a site like SSC.com if it's only going to be a source of information. It only adds to the challenge of information glut. The magic is the collaboration that can happen. It's the human stuff.

It's people helping other people overcome the fear of the learning curve. Or, helping someone stay in the game when faced with a long road of investment with distant rewards. It's getting people past mere information to get to knowledge and wisdom. It's leveraging a little effort from lots of people to build something otherwise not possible.

The picture you paint with comments like those quoted - I don't think will necessarily help make that collaboration magic happen - sorry to say.

Bill Nicolich: www.SQLFave.com.
    Daily tweet of what's new and interesting: AppendNow

• Bill Nicolich (2/18/2010)

... that is the general human condition and there is little need, in my opinion, to change that... the masses of mediocrity can only dream about... so let them wallow in mediocrity if they choose to ignore your words of advice and offers of mentoring. You will only shine that much more if they choose to crawl while you learn to fly.

Really there's little point to a site like SSC.com if it's only going to be a source of information. It only adds to the challenge of information glut. The magic is the collaboration that can happen. It's the human stuff.

It's people helping other people overcome the fear of the learning curve. Or, helping someone stay in the game when faced with a long road of investment with distant rewards. It's getting people past mere information to get to knowledge and wisdom. It's leveraging a little effort from lots of people to build something otherwise not possible.

The picture you paint with comments like those quoted - I don't think will necessarily help make that collaboration magic happen - sorry to say.

I agree with all you have said. But do you believe that the people I am referring to would even frequent a great website like this? My goal is not to bring us all down; just to be realistic.

The point is that you cannot force greatness on those who do not truly wish it. You can only offer a hand up to those with a true desire to achieve great things. That is the greatness of a website like this one. Those who ARE endeavoring to climb higher can find mentoring and great ideas about how to grow here. If you dispute the validity of the general human condition, you are overly optimistic. If you see all men as troglodytes you are a hopeless pessimist. I only wish to point out that there are many types throughout the spectrum. That is realism and my goal is to drag as many from one end to the other as I can, but with the knowledge that some are just not willing to help their own cause and that the blame for their own lack of progress, while influenced by luck, fate or whatever, lies squarely at their own feet, especially if they refuse the offer of assistance. We can only help those who want help. And don't we all need it at some point?

I have helped many people, felons and widowers and people with less than average IQ become VERY successful in IT because they believed me when I said that they merely had to keep applying themselves, regardless of the myriad of setbacks, and keep grinding towards the goals they set out when they started their career changes. I recently had a former felon as a student that interviewed over 300 times before he got a job offer. I cannot count the number of times I counseled him through tears and bouts of self doubt and thoughts of just giving up and going back to his old line of work (construction) because even though he was trying, he was not succeeding. Finally, someone gave him a shot and he got three promotions in 3 months, finally becoming a sys admin, because he continued to apply the principals that we had established in his life. I believe in and promote success with all that I have. It is my "calling" in this line of work, though the "job" might be teaching. Pushing others higher than my own accomplishments is the joy that fuels my enthusiasm for training.

So acknowledging the lack of willingness of some to work hard is not just good old negativity. It is a vital part of imparting the understanding to my students that hard work is required. Many people have the intelligence and ability to succeed. Few have the audacity to actually try and when I say try I mean trying and trying and trying because that is the heart of the winner, to keep standing up every time you get knocked down.

So to end on a positive note I think success is out there for everyone!... who tries and tries and tries.... 🙂

Cheers!

Peter Trast

• 1) I find some people suffer from feeling inferior.

2) Some people also struggle to find the time.

3) Many suffer from knowing that they could do with knowing more on a huge range of subjects (preferably to some depth).

My brother (who is an Infrastructure Engineer) is a perfect example of this. I am a developer, our other brother is a SQL Server DBA; both roles tend to be considered superior to the lowly Infrastructure Engineer. Yet he knows more about IP, DNS, AD, Windows etc than I ever will get the chance or probably want to. He is officially given time during work hours to use on improving himself but felt he lacked the time. Also, as he deals with so much technology he was left with a bewildering array of areas to improve upon.

I resolved to tackle each issue head on:

1) I pointed out his expertise and asked him if he felt he could do his job. He could, was considered highly by his peers and came highly recommended by those I will term "clients" here.

2) He had often pointed out that some colleagues spent a lot of time "messing about" with technologies that would never be practically applied in their current role i.e. CV Engineering. I suggested he looked into one thing he could use it in his job that would, in time, make him more productive. Short term small loss for a long term big gain i.e. investment.

3) As much as a mentor (as discussed in people's previous posts and articles) than as a brother, I recommended PowerShell might be the technology most applicable for his first area of learning. I argued past his "I don't program" with explaining how he can run a single command line for his first example, it was designed for sysadmins to use as a scripting language and he can go as far as he wanted. I provided a few starter PDFs and offered assistance if/when he needed it.

The result is significant; he realises that he is valued (always was but sometimes we all need someone else to point it out to ourselves), he has added a valuable skill that he now applies to be more productive and he did it all himself.

My input was both insignificant and essential. I nudged him into doing what he could have done all along but lacked two things: encouragement and guidance. Sometimes when a task appears too large it takes someone else to point out the "each journey begins with a single step" viewpoint. He just needed to realise that a single step will be an achievement and, perhaps, a suggestion on which way to take that step.

I knew this was all I had to do because I have previously needed such advice. I much rather haul people up with me as I climb the ladder of life rather than stand on their heads. As was previously stated, it is this collaboration that is at the heart of the value of this site itself.

Does anyone you know need your encouragement and guidance?

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Well said Gary 🙂

You are a great mentor and an awesome brother. We should all be so lucky to know someone who would do such a thing for us. When I was a young helicopter mechanic years ago, my supervisor, J.W., took me aside after I had pointed out some serious problems in our workflow. He said, "Ya know, Peter, you're a pretty smart guy. You are really good at finding problems. But so are a lot of other people. Learn how to find solutions and there will be little to hold you back." I took that advice to heart and turned everything in my life around. Suddenly my bosses, my friends and my family all liked me a whole lot more.

Now if I could only learn to sound as positive as Gary does with the written word 🙂

Thanks for chiming in. Guys like you are one of the main reasons that I love to be in IT.

Cheerio!

Peter Trast

• Well written, Gary. Your brother is lucky to have you around.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply