The Best Database

• I agree with Dan, nearly every moving part in a motor car has a sensor and each F1 car has a mirriad of moving parts, multiply this by 20 cars on the grid by 19 races a year and you've got a mind boggling amount of data when you think it has to be all real time!

Just a note, NASCAR is quite a basic motor sport as they don't belive in modern technology so it's [SportClass] ='motor sports'  and [Sport] <> 'NASCAR'

• Not that the data needs are huge, but Tennis has pretty extensive database needs. About 9 years ago I helped build the USTA database which they distribute around the country for ranking & seeding their players. Not only do all the players go in, but every match & the score, which combine with all the players in a tournament to get the tournaments weight which is then used in the next set of rankings & seedings, etc. I was actually pretty shocked at everything that we had to track, especially since I knew next to nothing about the game.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Other than the fact they aren't monitoring eight electronically controlled injectors, NASCAR engines are pretty heavily sensored (and censored on some tracks ).

• not knowing much about the nascar except the odd snippet in the online papers i would say cricket, there is just an awful amount of items to be tracked. and probably a not too distant second is basketball (in the U.S. that is) those people have made it a big time sport because of all the stats that are spat out by the commentators

Everything you can imagine is real.

• And I always thought the only reason cricket was invented was to have an excuse to drink beer nonstop for two weeks at a time.   Just goes to show what I know, eh?

• anyone think it could be horse racing ? lots of horses, course, jockeys , races and distances. and all around the world, all year !

• I'd hoped to see F1 well represented, and so it is. For sheer volume of technical data it is hard to beat, although I'd guess endurance racing could use some heavy statistical information to predict lifespans.

Another that occurs to me for needing a lot of data to make many difficult decisions over a short period of time is yacht racing, specifically America's Cup. Given the large number of uncontrollable variables, a bit of foreknowledge based on enough data for valid statistical analysis could prove extremely valuable in determining how to run the next race.

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

• This got me thinking and I decided to do a little research, my guess was F1 so I'll go down that route.

According to an interview I've found on news.com, The ferrari team reckons they transfer about 1GB of data between the car and the pits during a race, and this does not include the data logged in the car for later retreival. So, thats 20GB for all cars on the grid during a race x3 (as there are practice sessions etc) = 60GB per race weekend. Multiply this by 19 races = 1.9Tb over a season and this certainly doesnt count the offical practice days which are 35 a year or something and they are about 2 race distances so add another 4.2Tb

So on just running the cars the F1 padock ranks up 6.1Tb of data a year.

I doubt it's fair to add in all the R&D data that they must chew through also.

6.1Tb a year is quite a bit in my book.

Ed

• in that case i am forced to cede that F1 is the winner

Everything you can imagine is real.

• I wish I had some real experience in this subject, so what follows is purely speculation on my part.  I'm sure the global sports such as Cricket and Formula One have quite a bit of data strictly because of the sheer numbers of countries and members participating.  However, with the explosion of Fantasy Football here in America I'm guessing the data requirements across America, not to mention people in other countries that are playing now, have got to be huge.

Boy would it be cool to do a "Select * from tblQuarterbacks" instead of the usual "Select * from tblOrderType", ah the life of the DBA Jock........

Mark

• Let me put a second vote in for horse racing.  Have you ever read a racing form?  There are several flavors of speed, pace, pedigree and track ratings - and all of these need to be published prior to each race.  Pretty amazing that they already handle all of this.

• If you eliminate indirect data like the crowd logistics databases of the Olympics etc, I would have to go with F1 as well. These vehicles have 500,000 lines of code, every shift,every brake every turn, thousands of mechanical components are monitored and logged.

Cars "run" the course hundreds of times on a dyno in explict detail before they ever arrive at the track.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Auto racing (F1, NASCAR, endurance, etc...) would definitely rank right up there for volume of information due to the very technical nature of the sport with its extensive man-machine interface.

From a statistical standpoint where human performance is the consideration, it would be the sport with the most games times the most players times the most statistical points to record. In this case, it would probably be professional baseball. Essentially every touch of a ball is recorded in professional baseball and many touches have 2 or more statistics recorded for the touch, for example a single pitch can be recorded at the same time as a strike, a hit, an on-base-percentage statistics, a batting average adjustment, a slugging percentage adjustment, a run charged against the pitcher, an earned run or unearned run for the pitcher, the count for number of hits in a game, a hitting streak count, a type of hit (single, double, etc), a fielding attempt, an error on the part of the fielder, and a called-error on the part of the scorekeeper. In some cases, it is every time a participant looks at a ball. Although you don't see statistics for this covered at MLB.COM, you can guarantee that teams record how umpires call a pitch in the strike zone so that when their pitcher goes to the mound they'll have an aspect on how that umpire will call the game. 

I'm unfamiliar with cricket schedules but would conjecture that on the level where statistics are rigorously recorded, the number of games and number of statistical points would be greater for professional baseball.

• My vote for quantity goes to Cricket - just look at Wisden which is a thick book of statistiocs published annually.

Personally sailing collects a fair bit - I have to take a laptop to our dinghy racing events these days to run Sailwave to sort out the results and handicapping.

• Besides US, the rest of the world is focusing on soccer (the rest of the world called it 'football').   Today is the beginning of the world cup.  Asia, Europe, Africa are all focusing on this event today.  I heard people in those countries were so crazy about the event, some people actually took the whole month off just to watch the game.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply