The Best Days

• Very interesting discussion.

I'd say it depends. Ha ha. On what you're considering. I'm 37 this year. As far as coding is concerned, after 5 years owning the VMS file system for DEC and 9 years developing the SQL Storage Engine, I'm way past my prime in terms of *development* skills - haven't had a patent for 6 years.

Now that I teach and consult, I've picked up and am mastering different skills. In this new phase of my career, my strength grows with time and the more customers and cases I deal with - so I could say that in terms of *consulting and non-coding problem solving skills*, no, not yet.

As far as new technologies are concerned, I've never been one to jump on the latest band-wagons and I'm a notorious luddite. I'm typing this on an XP SP2 laptop and I've never touched Vista.

Nice thread Steve.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• mark.kleinschmidt (5/15/2009)

Steve,

On the days you are feeling old just remember that there are always people older than you.

Ah, but less and less all the time. I remember when I was always one of the youngest IT people. Now I'm one of the oldest in the company!

• Great article, thanks. I was thinking it was just me having those thoughts.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your picture of the Timex/Sinclair 1000.

I've got one just like it sitting behind me on my bookshelf!

I'm sure I am not as quick (technically) as I used to be, but I do feel I am able to make up for it in efficiency and making better long-term quality choices in how I do things, and passing on those skills on to my fellow workers. That is where my value lies now, IMHO. I do find that I am not as interested in learning new things. It doesn't seem as important as it used to be for some reason.

• emr (5/15/2009)

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your picture of the Timex/Sinclair 1000.

One of those was my first computer. 2k of RAM! Woot!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Or maybe just replicate to another boddy!!?!:-P

• Steve, seems you've hit a nerve here!

I'm in my mid 40's, and feel the same as many of the other mid-career posters...

I don't need/want to pick up the latest everything any more. My tolerance for keeping up with MSSQL/MySQL/PostgreSQL/Oracle at the same time is waaaay lower then it used to be, let alone web-scripting languages. I think raw retention has given way to "oh, this foo is just like the old bar I used to use"...

On the other hand, I sure have a lot more to say about design and architecture these days. That's where my interest is moving. So, it's just a shift from the details to the big picture. Really makes sense, doesn't it? Let the young DBA and developers learn everything, and we 'more seasoned' types keep 'em on track!

• I suspect, Steve, that our IT paths were very similar with regards to the age and knowledge thing. In my case, I started out with support and learned the DBA and programming ropes as I went along. I never received a degree, so you could say that I was one of those graduates from the School of Hard Knocks. I sense that my lack of formal education led me to actively and continually learn everything I could. After all, I needed some kind of edge.

Now, 20 years later or so, I'm in between youth and old age, and I find that there isn't much need within me to learn it all. I think that our human minds do not atrophy in the same sense as our bones and muscles. I still have the capability to learn just as quickly and as much as before -- it's just that I now find myself choosing different paths. There are some things that I admittedly refuse to learn or change my thoughts on. However, many many hours of experience have shown me a few truths that just don't need to be questioned as rigorously as before.

Perhaps it is the wisdom of age that guides us in thinking differently. Maybe then from the point of view of the young noob in the corner cubicle, the old guys will always seem out of touch or stubborn as a goat. We're not really that way. We just want to learn something else that sometimes has nothing to do with IT.

• My initial inclination was just to post "Yes" and let it go at that. I guess I am in something of a funk myself.

Some may have noticed I have hardly posted this year. I was laid off in Feb, with much hand-wringing from management about how it wasn't me it was the economy. (Actually they laid me off within days of giving me a bonus for my work during 2008!):sick:

Since I haven't been working in databases for very long, and I just got started in SQL Server last year, I haven't been able to find a position yet. My three degrees and years of experience have been getting me interviews, but I remain "the bridesmaid and not the bride". I probably should get some formal certificate to beef up my qualifications, but I haven't been able to decide which to go for.:unsure:

• jpowers, best of luck in finding something.

Thanks again for all the responses.

One thing I thought of recently is that most of the "fads" and "new things" that are put out in IT, aren't really new. They're advancing older concepts, so I don't feel as though I'm falling that far behind.

• While I do day dream of the glorious achievements of days past, I feel that the best days are still to come. Getting older does have its drawbacks but the advances in technology will greatly out weigh them. I look back only 7-8 years ago and I could not even begin to imagine some of the technological miracles that we do today as simple tasks. As a whole - our better days are yet to come and it will continue to improve over future decades.

Joe:cool:

• Steve, you said your body was aching a bit more than normal when you wrote this editorial.

Well there ya have it -- the 'ol mind-body connection - sort of had you feeling blue. Hopefully all the words of encouragement here have helped you see the bigger picture of your considerable skills and contributions - which you weren't capable of when you were 25, were you? Huh? Huh? No, I didn't think so. 🙂

• LOL, I had some skills at 25, though much different skills. Definitely more passionate about the "cool" technology pieces. Not sure I could have run this site then.

• Well..I have been in the IT business over 27 years..from IBM mainframes to first introduction to unix,oracle and sybase in the middle 80s. I will be 60yrs old in another month. I don't feel my age and I don't feel "my best days" in IT are over. Maybe that is because I work with DBAs and others who are much younger than I and I do not have the EGO problems to keep from asking for help and guidance. I support oracle,sybase, and SQL server and would like to get to the point where I ONLY support SQL Server. Luckily I am in a position that affords me the opportunity to keep learning..and that is a "blessing". Once you stop learning and growing then it is time to move on to something else.

• I've been in IT in one way or another since 1977. One thing I can not do as much is pull all nighters or even late nighters. About 20 years ago I decided it was better to do something right the first time rather than have to fix in the middle of the night. Ya, I know, it took me more than 10 years for me to figure that out. 😀

My passion for IT and learning new things has not wavered. It sounds like you're starting to lose that passion, Steve. I have a suggestion. Take a sabbatical for whatever amount of time you need to get away and refresh yourself in mind, spirit, and body. I did this in 1993 by living on Grand Cayman for two months being a beach bum. I worked as a dishwasher at a resort hotel making barely enough to live. I enjoyed it for awhile and came back to IT when I was ready.

• Robert (5/15/2009)

Imo worst problem of old geeks is lack of physical activity. Physical fitness strengthens mental fitness.

Next thing is lack of motivation, unless you're your own boss.

So, if you think your best tech days are behind you, take some time for jogging or whatever activity makes you sweat and breathless. Work on your motivation, if your boss is a jerk and demotivates you, don't be afraid to change job. Or even profession. Even if you're over 60, there's hope for you, if you find courage and motivation.

I am turning 50 this year and there is still a lot of gusto in this body of mine. No, I am not very active though I tryto walk often. When I became 40 the some people told me: "Life starts at 40" and others told me: "From here on if you wake-up in the morning without pain you're dead." I say, my life starts anew each day.

Pleeeeeaaase! do not get old before the time! I one day heard someone say: "As long as my body will carry my healthy mind, I will go on and do my daily work and chores."

In my heart and mind I am still 20 but glad that I have the experience of a near 50 year old.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply