The Best IT Companies

• "Over time people get more, sometimes up to 25 days, but I rarely see more."

I saw a list of countries, and average vacation time/holiday time/hours per day/etc a while back, and it's amazing how far behind the rest of the world the US is in that respect.  If I remember right, The US was the bottom of the list for just about everything listed.  I seem to recall that even places we think of as workaholics (Japan) got far more in the way of time off then even the most comfortable Americans...

• One of the company on the list is in my city.  I knew at least twenty people that used to work in that company and said it was the worst company.  All the employee had to dress up (man wears suite, no facial hair, woman wears suits skirt).  You had to clean up your desk everyday, no personal item on the desk, no eating or drinking at the desk.  The salary is low comparing to the other company in the area.  I don't trust those survey.  Their turnover rate used to be very high a few years ago.  They liked to hire people out of college because they could make them do anything.  Now their turnover rate is low because the economy of my city is bad and that company is one of the company is growing and stable.  So even you hate the job, you have nowhere to go.

• Steve,

I don't know what they used for thier criteria, but I worked for one of the companies listed and I have NO idea how they got listed.  IT leadership was poor and the pay was lower than market, high turnover, except the 'dead wood' types... all in all I'm disappointed to see them on the list.

On the other hand, I've been lucky enough to have a few jobs I've really enjoyed, such as the company I'm at now.  Excellent leadership, good synergy, etc.  The pay is a little low, but the people I work with make up for it!

Mark

• A few things to keep in mind on the survey.

Some companies do skew it. I worked for one guy that was horrible, but very concerned about image, so they would ensure that a bunch of people filled things out in surveys.

Second, the "best" company, isn't the best for everyone. What I think is great, you might hate and vice versa, so any of you thinking a company is horrible doesn't mean it is for everyone. I've seen situations where I thought things were bad , but others didn't. Not defending these companies in particular becuase I don't know any of them, but perspectives differ.

Lastly, companies can change. Usually when management changes, but it can happen.

For what it's worth, the U of M still seems like a cool job.

• Definitely agree that different people within companies can have different perspectives on how good the company is.  Depends on what your boss is like and what your colleagues are like too, for example.

To go back to the differences between Europe and the US, in my current job I get 25 days annual leave, plus 8 public holidays = 33 days off per year, or 6 weeks + 3 days.  There is no limit on sick days here, although I'd imagine if you were sick a lot, questions would be asked!

World Cup - sorry to the Spanish dude - they got beat by France last night!

• hi Steve,

General topics. Politics and Philosophy also would be welcomed.

cheers

• Not sure where you'd find web chats other than some place like AOL. There are all kinds of chat rooms there.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply