The Best Job

• I quit being a pharmacist 9 years ago to become a programmer and now am a DBA.  Pharmacy, at least for me, is more stressfull than IT.

My dream job would be writer and trainer.  I love writing about SQL Server, but would also venture into fiction like Steve.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• I would love to be a Project Manager for a large construction company.

I would love the challenge of pulling all of the details together to bulid a 20 story office building. I would love to have something lasting and visible as the end result of my efforts.

Right now my only experience is supevising from the sidewalk so I am hopelessly under-qualified for this job.

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

• I'd play drums and sing.  Both are passions for me that I would combine in a worship setting.  A full-time worship director/musician would be one of my dream jobs. 

I'd also go full time building percussion equipment and drumsets, too.  Right now I build my own stuff and have found it very rewarding.  There are a lot of skills involved and the joy of playing or seeing someone play on something you've made is a great thrill.

There is Truth
    It is easy to find but most of us don't want it once we find it. It sheds alot more light on us than we thought it would.

• I use to think that being an Architect would be cool since I also enjoy woodworking and I like to do “fix it” type projects around the house.  But, over the past several years I have come to believe that being a teacher would be my dream job.  Since I am involved in the Boy Scouts, I am most comfortable teaching middle school kids but I think that high or grade school would be fine as well.

• A natural home builder!  We're all builders (coders) and that's where a lot of satisfaction comes from - seeing one's creation.  The natural home builder part is to be outdoors, in the fresh air and sun.  Natural homes also are much more pleasing to view and enjoy than conventional knockoffs.

• Techinical Engineer on a motogp team ....love the hard work ,travel to every corner of the world and ofcourse  working on prototypes and do something new .

• I N V E N T O R. Hands down!!

I am graduated from EE and Automation and Control systems. I would have love to invent many of the cool things I have seen but Life was tough for me and I had to survive first. I still have that little bug inside me and every once in a while a new "idea" sparks on my mind but for now I am a DBA

* Noel

• I would have to say either a structural architect (as opposed to a software architect....need to clarify that on this board) or in A&R for a record label. I work in the music industry now, however in back office, but I love going into NYC to visit our labels on the front lines of the business. It's full of life!

• Before I started working in computers, I loved them -- couldn't get enough of them, constantly reading and learning more.  After being in the industry for almost 15 years, something that had been a passion, is now simply a job.

I've always wanted to be a writer because I love reading.  However, I don't think I would want that passion for reading to be supplanted by it becoming "just a job".

I have joked about being a Wal-Mart greeter, but wouldn't it be nice to have enough money to not have to worry about bills, but still be able to just say hello to everyone for 8 hours a day?

Joe Johnson
    NETDIO,LLC.

• I feel that the sole purpose of a job is to generate money for lifestyle.  While it is good to feel like you are making a contribution and experiencing some level of personal growth, there is so much more to life than going back and forth to work day after day.  That is unfortunately where most of us spend the majority of our time.  My priorities and my heart lie with my wife and kids so that is where I want to spend my 40 hours a week, not working for someone else.  My dream job, therefore,  would be to not have a job or rather, to generate enough passive/residual income that I can choose my lifestyle and spend the time doing the things that I want to do, not the things that I get paid to do. 

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• The two best things about being a programmer/develper/designer is that you get to learn new things and you can usually point to the results of your work at the end of the day/week/month and say "I did that." My wife assures me that that's a guy attitude but so be it.

If money were not an issue, I'd go back to work for Habitat for Humanity.  A company I used to work for wanted me back but only had enough work for 3 days a week.  For the next 6 months, I spent the other 2 days building houses and it was the most rewarding this I had done as an adult.  Very good people, a great attitude about things and you're outdoors.  And also you learn new things and can point to your work.  The added benefit is that I got in great shape, too.

I loved teaching, too but it became repetitive.

• Designing and building decking and yard schemes. Still get to use the brain power but the creativity is (hopefully) evident to all viewers. Not to mention the base satisfaction of working with my own hands, other than on a keyboard.

Second choice...and this will get a few bad reviews....lawyer, and I won't hold it against anyone if they pronounce it liar.

• Gardener, hands down.

The only difference between software engineer and gardener is that you do the developing outdoors in the dirt.

You still need creative solutions for seemingly impossible obsticles (how do you grow tomotoes in the winter in Minnesota), quick hacks (for pests and disease), you have solitude in your work, and only other gardeners will really know what you're ever talking about.

• I used to work for Diamond Comic Distributors in one of thier warehouses. That job was a blast. I got to work with my friends and my brother, was able to socialize, and got a nice discount on comics. And the pay was pretty good for a 20 year old kid. I would probably still be working for them in some fashion if the warehouse had not been closed down when they had to downsize.

• I'd be a high school volleyball coach.  I started playing in high school and my very first coach was the best I ever had.  Not just because he knew the game, but because he inspired players.  Since then I've played more than my share, and coached in rec leagues and development leagues.  So many of the high schools players I see have playing skills but not playing passion, and that's a reflection of the coach.  I love to take whatever the middle schools feed to the high schools and build a program on players with skill and desire.  The players, in return, leave with a passion to last a lifetime. 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply