The buffer manager detected that the system was low on virtual memory

• We are having issues with SSIS packages which are scheduled through SQLAgent.

Error: The buffer manager detected that the system was low on virtual memory, but was unable to swap out any buffers. 12 buffers were considered and 12 were locked. Either not enough memory is available to the pipeline because not enough is installed, other processes are using it, or too many buffers are locked.

The weird part is the job runs fine for the first 2 days of the re-boot and after that the jobs hung forever and ever and never finish, in this case I just kill the jobs and re-boot the server. We are seeing this problem since last 2 weeks.

Any kind of help is highly appreciated...

• Well, the error is quite clear I think: you are not having enough memory on your server.

SSIS is quite memory intensive, so if it runs out of memory, it stops working.

The reason why it works fine after a reboot is that all your memory is cleared so SSIS has enough to work with. After a while the memory fills up and SSIS crashes.

Try to monitor the memory usage on your server and see which processes eat away all your memory.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• @dbadotraghu

A memory leak or unused DLLs over RAM can be a issue. I too once faced this trouble... I resolved this manually by closing all the programs and freeing up RAM as much as I can.

Later , we have upgraded our server with more RAM. Well, this can't be the only solution...

In' Thoughts',

[font="Comic Sans MS"]LonelyRogue[/font]

--In 'thoughts'...
    Lonely Rogue

• Thanks Guys for your response

Even one of my resolution was to increase the memory, but thought of checking with others because the server was behaving since last two weeks and trying to find out what happened.. Can some one help me pointing to a nice article or a guide for memory monitoring. I tried to run a profiler trace and it didn't tell me anything.

Thanks

Raghu

• Have any changes been made to your server in the last two weeks? Perhaps you have some more software or services running on it. Something must havfe changed if this behaviour has just started occurring.

• Once again thanks for your replies... DBA who left the company had created a OLAP backup job for all the cubes which was contradicting with the SSIS job and both were battling for memory. I have rescheduled the cube backup job and issue is now resolved... I couldn't find this job because he created on a central server which i was not aware of.........

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply