The Dying Administrator

• lptech (1/27/2010)

Someone besides a DBA really does need to understand SAN implications for database files. lets say I request three LUN's, one each for database files, log files, and tempdb. Tomorrow, another DBA does the same thing. How do we know that the second db file LUN doesn't end up on the same spindles as the first log file LUN, and vice versa?

I agree that they need to understand. I would also suggest that they are more capable to work closely with the DBA in determining the storage needs. If picking one ability of the SAN administrator, I would pick the teamwork factor. Learning the implications and understanding the SAN can be learned more rapidly (we had to do that in the past).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• lptech (1/27/2010)

Someone besides a DBA really does need to understand SAN implications for database files. lets say I request three LUN's, one each for database files, log files, and tempdb. Tomorrow, another DBA does the same thing. How do we know that the second db file LUN doesn't end up on the same spindles as the first log file LUN, and vice versa?

In the Microsoft platform as of Windws 2003 if I remember correctly you could use LUN Masking and Zoning because Zoning is on the hardware level SAN experts uses both. But I could be wrong because HP SAN is different from EMC so what you can do depends on your SAN vendor implementation. This is not data cheap companies that chooses not to pay for SAN admin could come one Monday morning and everything is corrupted.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Being aware of space was always a sub-job of a network admin or DBA.

Are there really a lot of people whose full-time job is to administrate storage space?

A percentage of my time is spent monitoring and admining drive space for my groups project files and databases. I've automated and standarized a lot of things. Just one of the many hats I wear as a developer/analyst/pseudo-admin. We are not a large shop but double our size and that would need to be almost a dedicated job or we could hire an additional full time admin. I would love to get some new servers and SAN systems. Maybe an upgrade to SQL Server 8 too!

😎

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply