The flow of an UPDATE STATEMENT with a FROM CLAUSE

• I have an UPDATE STATEMENT with a FROM CLAUSE, and i am using variables to capture the value and use them else where int the STATEMENT...

The placing of these variables is the difficult part because I put them in the wrong place because i don't understand how the flow works for an UPDATE STAMENT...

UPDATE TABLE1

SET @V1 = [COL1] = CASE @vEVAL = TRUE THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

, [COL2] = @vEVAL

FROM TABLE1

If the col1 and col2 are not in the right order you have a screwed up data... thus when executed which way is the flow of the UPDATE STATEMENT; does it come top down or bottom up with each record???

• Hi John

Can you describe in words what you're attempting to do with this part of the statement:

SET @V1 = [COL1] = CASE @vEVAL = TRUE THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

, [COL2] = @vEVAL

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• UPDATE TABLE1

SET

, @vEVAL = [COL3]

, @V1 = [COL1] = CASE @vEVAL = TRUE THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

, [COL2] = @vEVAL

FROM TABLE1

What matters most is the flow, cause if i don't have those in the right order my values won't evaluate properly; that's why i just put dummy code, i have posted b4 and all loose focuse on my question and try to fix the code...

if the flow is from the bottom up, then [COL2] would be a NULL, because @vEVAL hasn't been reached yet.

• Hi John

I understand your frustration, which is why I asked if you could put into words what you are trying to achieve. Small changes in this kind of update will have very different consequences on the target table (or, more likely, none at all).

loose focuse on my question and try to fix the code

So...what's the question? What are you trying to do?

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I have several different ID's, could have 1 ID with 10 rows another with 15 rows, etc...

This update statement is doing some setups to do an Amortization, so i have do a calc on how many days are between ID row1 paydate and ID row2 paydate etc... and at the same time calculate a count of of how many ID's exists... thus, at each change in ID my count column starts back at 1 and my days between column starts over at 0. I have a variable as well for the ID, so i can track when it does change...

That count is needed to update the main table for setting up other things in the Amortization table.

And I always seem to get the order in where things are placed, because I don't understand the flow...

• Looking good John, and making a lot more sense now. Next thing is for you to give us some sample data in the form of a table script, which contains all of the necessary columns to be able to test an update script against. Something like this...

CREATE TABLE #Test (RowID int, [id] int, ....)

INSERT INTO #Test (RowID, [id] ...)

SELECT 1, 4, ..... UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 4, ..... UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 7, ..... UNION ALL

SELECT 4, 7, .....

Cheers

ChrisM

• IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..##PS') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE ##PS

-- TEMP

CREATE TABLE ##PS

(

[ID_NUMBER] DECIMAL(25, 0) NOT NULL, [PAYMENT_DATE] DATETIME,

[AMOUNT] FLOAT,

[RECCNT] INT,

[AVG_PMT_FREQ] INT

)

INSERT INTO ##PS ([ID_NUMBER], [PAYMENT_DATE], [AMOUNT])

VALUES(100000110011, '2013-01-01 00:00:00.000', 726342.88)

VALUES(100000110011, '2014-01-01 00:00:00.000', 1073941.8)

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX IX_SP_ID_PD

ON ##PS ([ID_NUMBER], [PAYMENT_DATE])

DECLARE @PrevAcctID AS DECIMAL(25,0)

DECLARE @PRIORDATE AS DATETIME

DECLARE @CURRDATE AS DATETIME

DECLARE @PrevGrpCnt AS INT --Running count resets when account changes

SET @PrevGrpCnt = 0

UPDATE ##PS

SET

[RECCNT] = 1 -- [C].[CNT]

-- CASE

-- WHEN [P].[ID_NUMBER] = @PrevAcctID

-- THEN (CASE WHEN @PrevGrpCnt = 1 THEN 0 ELSE @CURRDATE END)

-- ELSE 0

-- END

-- DO CALC OF DATA DIFF

@PRIORDATE = @CURRDATE

[AVG_PMT_FREQ] = CASE

WHEN [P].[ID_NUMBER] = @PrevAcctID THEN

CASE

WHEN DATEDIFF(DAY, @PRIORDATE, 0) <> 0 AND @PRIORDATE IS NOT NULL

THEN ABS(DATEDIFF(DAY, @PRIORDATE, @CURRDATE))

ELSE 0

END

ELSE 0

END

@CURRDATE = CASE

WHEN [P].[ID_NUMBER] = @PrevAcctID

THEN CASE WHEN @PrevGrpCnt = 1 THEN 0 ELSE [P].[PAYMENT_DATE] END

ELSE [P].[PAYMENT_DATE]

END

@PrevGrpCnt = CASE

WHEN [P].[ID_NUMBER] = @PrevAcctID THEN @PrevGrpCnt + 1

ELSE 1 -- Restarts count at "1"

END

@PrevAcctID = [P].[ID_NUMBER]

FROM ##PS [P]

WITH (INDEX(IX_SP_ID_PD),TABLOCKX)

WHERE [ID_NUMBER] = 100000110011

SELECT * --[ID_NUMBER], COUNT([ID_NUMBER]) --[PAYMENT_DATE], [AMOUNT]

FROM ##PS

WHERE [ID_NUMBER] = 100000110011

• Nice work John. Lastly, you want the results to look like this? Resetting for each ID_NUMBER?

ID_NUMBER PAYMENT_DATE AMOUNT RECCNT AVG_PMT_FREQ

------------ ----------------------- ---------- ------- ------------

100000110011 2013-01-01 00:00:00.000 726342.88 1 0

100000110011 2014-01-01 00:00:00.000 1073941.8 2 365

• Yes Sir, for both the last Columns...

• To specifically address the original question, so far as I've been able to tell, it's top down... with exceptions. Subqueries will NOT correlate. They will be evaluated pre-update and converted to derived tables, so will not re-evaluate for every row. At least none of the ones I've tried would. While this is good from a performance standpoint, it limits the implementation of the technique somewhat. You can use case statements against variables, or you can look up values in subqueries that don't rely on variables / prior affected rows in the update, but any subquery which depends on either of these factors will not work.

I don't have time at the moment to provide specific examples of what I'm talking about, but every implementation I've tried to do with this type of subquery has failed. The one I did for jcrawf02 the other day worked (well, it did what I intended it to do, it wasn't quite what he needed and needs to be modified) because the subquery did a count of rows that existed pre-update. This is fine, and works as a derived table. The versions I attempted for that performance and integrity issue a few weeks back failed for this reason.

With the top down approach in mind, I usually do something like

UPDATE SomeTable

SET @RCOUNT = RCOUNT = CASE WHEN ID = @PreviousID THEN @RCount + 1 ELSE 1 END,

@PreviousID = ID

FROM SomeTable

The case is evaluated, and then previousID is set to the currentID, it moves to the next row, and starts over.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Hi John, I reckon this must be close...

[font="Courier New"]IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..##PS') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE ##PS

CREATE TABLE ##PS

([ID_NUMBER] DECIMAL(25, 0) NOT NULL,

[PAYMENT_DATE] DATETIME,

[AMOUNT] FLOAT,

[RECCNT] INT,

[AVG_PMT_FREQ] INT)

VALUES(100000110011, '2013-01-01 00:00:00.000', 726342.88)

VALUES(100000110011, '2014-01-01 00:00:00.000', 1073941.8)

VALUES(100000110012, '2013-01-01 00:00:00.000', 726342.88)

VALUES(100000110012, '2014-01-01 00:00:00.000', 1073941.8)

VALUES(100000110012, '2014-01-03 00:00:00.000', 23.9)

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX IX_SP_ID_PD

ON ##PS ([ID_NUMBER], [PAYMENT_DATE])

DECLARE @PrevAcctID AS DECIMAL(25,0), @PRIORDATE AS DATETIME, @RECCNT INT, @AVG_PMT_FREQ INT

SET @RECCNT = 1

UPDATE ##PS SET

@RECCNT = [RECCNT] = CASE WHEN @PrevAcctID = ID_NUMBER THEN @RECCNT + 1 ELSE 1 END,

@AVG_PMT_FREQ = AVG_PMT_FREQ = CASE WHEN @PrevAcctID = ID_NUMBER THEN DATEDIFF(DAY, @PRIORDATE, PAYMENT_DATE) ELSE 0 END,

@PrevAcctID = ID_NUMBER,

@PRIORDATE = PAYMENT_DATE

SELECT * FROM  ##PS

[/font]

• Ok, so it's top down... thanks for that...

I try to avoid Correlated Query's... That is why the previous Update Example I posted for this question is done... its used here in this updated statement... much much faster...

UPDATE [dbo].[Amortization]

SET

[LAST_PAYMENT_DATE] = .[LAST_PAYMENT_DATE]

[NEXT_PAYMENT_DATE] = .[NEXT_PAYMENT_DATE]

[CUR_PAYMENT] = .[CUR_PAYMENT]

[PMT_FREQ] = .[AVG_PMT_FREQ]

FROM

(

SELECT

[P].[ID_NUMBER]

, [P].[PAYMENT_DATE] AS [LAST_PAYMENT_DATE]

, .[PAYMENT_DATE] AS [NEXT_PAYMENT_DATE]

, [P].[AMOUNT] AS [CUR_PAYMENT]

, [P].[RECCNT]

, .[AVG_PMT_FREQ]

FROM [##PS] [P]

INNER JOIN

(

SELECT [OPS].[ID_NUMBER], [OPS].[AVG_PMT_FREQ], [OPS].[PAYMENT_DATE]

FROM [##PS] [OPS]

WHERE [OPS].[RECCNT] = 2

)

ON [P].[ID_NUMBER] = .[ID_NUMBER]

WHERE [P].[RECCNT] = 1

)

INNER JOIN

[dbo].[Amortization] [A]

-- NO INDEX CREATED YET CAUSE IT SLOWS DOWN DURING BIG INSERTS AND BLOW OUT, PLUS IT'S ONLY NEEDED IN STAGE 5 FOR ORDER

ON [A].[ID_NUMBER] = .[ID_NUMBER]

-- NOTICE ONLY ON OUR COMMERCIAL LEASE... SEE IN STAGE 1 I WAS SMART AND TAGGED... DOH

WHERE [A].[TBL_SOURCEID] <> '1'

• john.steinbeck (11/18/2008)

Ok, so it's top down... thanks for that...

I try to avoid Correlated Query's... That is why the previous Update Example I posted for this question is done... its used here in this updated statement... much much faster...

You lost me. The example above is just a regular update statement, your first one was incorrect due to where you set @PriorDate, and I wasn't saying that you *should* use correlated subqueries, merely warning you that they wouldn't work if you ever tried.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• I have tried to help with particular problem as well. It is a form of running-total problem and prehaps what would help is more than just a couple of rows of sample data. Multilpe rows with a change in id's would probably be much more beneficial in working the problem.

• Also, besides providing the sample data, be sure to provide the expected results when the query is run. We need something to check against.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply