The Full Stack DBA

• I echo those citing "Jack of all trades, master of none." here. Yes, I consider myself a "full stack DBA." I've done it all. In fact, I even have a full "sandbox" in my home office, an entire domain, which I created from scratch with a domain server, DNS, a WSFC with two nodes, an FCI (MS SQL Server), and a virtual iSCSI device using Starwinds vSAN. Future projects for my sandbox are Always On Availability Groups, and the list keeps growing... I work from home, so I need to be able to test EVERYTHING and ANYTHING locally, hence the sandbox.

In my present position, I was hired as a "DBA," but I quickly became the point/lead person for a full ERP systems implementation for the entire duration of the exercise, and maintenance thereof. Finally, when there was a chance, I pulled a few strings and literally hired my own boss/direct supervisor from a pool of people that I KNEW could take some of the weight off my shoulders, for the good of the entire institution I work for, not for my benefit. It's a 5000+ students/2000+ faculty and staff university south of Chicagoland. I'm the only one that truly understands SSIS (I converted most of their systems integrations into SSIS). I am also their full-time LMS Administrator, ERP programmer on occasion, although I leave that on more capable hands as often as possible, again, for the good of the institution.

I could go on listing projects and things I'm good at, but my point is: if large enough companies/institutions want the job done right, they need to HIRE WELL. Expecting people to be able to do everything, which is now being called "full stack", is not only unrealistic, it's dangerous and irresponsible, IMHO.

Peace to all. Best, Raphael

• I have a variety of home projects in which I have to do everything. I enjoy these and have had some success in being able to publish quite complicated web applications over which I have total control. Everything is developed with the help of code generators. I am gradually improving my understanding of what is happening under the hood as it stands I am happy that I can quickly put together business applications with security. I think it is likely that I might be halfway competent in a few years.

For me I enjoy having a task and figuring out how to make it more efficient end to end.

Because these are home projects I can afford to be sub optimal in the knowledge that I am likely to improve steadily. At some point I may need to implement in a more professional capacity. Hopefully if that happens I will have some experience behind me.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply