The G5 XBOX 360

• The big news this week from Microsoft, at least in many outlets, was the debut of the XBOX 360, if you can call it that. While many online sites were hoping for details and specs as well as game demos, the MTV launch was more hype than substance with mostly footage of celebrities and the hardware, not much on the games.

While the specs were interesting in any of themselves, a 20GB removable hardware and 3, 3.2GHz PowerPC processors and more, this news item stunned me.

A number of G5s were used to power the demos.

That's Apple G5s for those of you not suitable stunned. Not that I'm stunned a PowerPC chip was chosen, though it was surprising. I mean, an IBM chip that's used in Apple products. Built by a company pushing Linux and marketed by a company selling OS X. That's an interesting play in and of itself. What does that mean for Intel / AMD? Their chips aren't good enough? Not powerful enough?

And what about the fact that Apple products were used in the demos? Steve Jobs would never do that. He'd shut down Apple before he used a Windows machine to run one of his demos. Can you imagine if one of the boxes abend'd and displayed a Mac logo during the demo? I wonder if it did? I'm sure that's why the event was taped and probably the demos were even filmed ahead of time and then shown as video rather than rendered in real time.

Or does this mean that Windows is being ported in some fashion to the PowerPC? Is Microsoft going to attack Mac users and look to expand the product line to other processors? Some other processors are already supported in Windows Mobile. Perhaps now we'll start to see some Windows systems on other architectures, or at least some minor subset.

Like SQL Server 2005 Express

Steve Jones

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Where did You get the info on the G5 part ?

Btw, I read somewhere that Microsoft had hired a team of developers to port SQL server to *nix based systems .. So why not a Windows on a piece of Mac hardware ?!

• April fools?

• Just speculation. No word that things will be ported, but if they're moving the XBOX there, and with it DirectX and some of the other interfaces, maybe they will.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply