The Great Developer Resignation

• sailtovictory wrote:

I signed up just to comment here.

First, welcome aboard and glad to "meet" ya!

On the rest of it, man, those are always tough realizations.  You first have to decide if they're real and then, if they, are they big enough to warrant action, etc, etc.  The really hard part is that, while you can get a lot of good advice, you can also get a lot of bad advice because your advisors are not "insitu" (and that includes me).  Ultimately, you have to think about it (as you are doing) and probably make a pro/con list just to help you think in some logical order.

The next thing is something that I went through in a very similar situation.  To make a much longer story shorter, the job and work area at the new job I jumped to was nothing like they described it during the interview and they had me doing things that I not only didn't enjoy but wasn't any good at (I told them in the interview that I was the last person in the world they'd want to work in SSIS, but they had me working a lot on SSIS).  They went back on the promise to implement some sort of code standards that also outlined what was necessary for how and who would deploy code to production so we could stop the wild-west of code cowboys (they said they changed their mind because they didn't want to piss off the goat ropers).  It was 7 of the most miserable weeks I ever spent in my life.

I got lucky because my boss from the old company wanted to have lunch with me and, to make another long story shorter, asked what it would take to get me back and then not only met all the things we discussed but exceeded a couple.

My point is, the worst time to look for another job is frequently when you need a change the most.  It's way too easy to be enticed because things look so bad where you are.  I'm NOT saying they NOT bad where you are.  I'm saying be careful.  In cast iron skillet cooking terms, I "jumped from fat to fire" and was really lucky to have my old boss pull me from the fire.  If you go on interviews, make sure you interview the company as well as they're going to interview you.  You may find that the reason why the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence is because there's a whole lot more bulls--t there. 😉

Realize that you're dealing from a position of power because you're currently employed and it doesn't look like they're going to can you.  That's going to give you time to actually find a better job and maybe even work on folks at your current job a bit.  For example, have you talked with your boss to them that you think your talents are being wasted by doing that other stuff?  Is your boss really giving you that stuff because he's in a bind and has learned to rely on you (really tough decision there if you hate doing what they want you to do)?

Yeah... I know... you probably thought of all that and more.

My bottom line advice is, if you're really going to bail then, again, realize you have the time to "find the right job for you" because you're currently employed.  And, while you're at it, "don't go lateral" unless you find your dream job for sure.  Find a better job and one that pays more, etc, etc.

And, last but not least, remember that they can't eat you.  It may take some effort and time but you are ultimately in control.  Take some time to really figure out what you want, identify the companies that might be able to provide that (although job descriptions usually suck), and take examples of your work on interviews.  Interviews are a place to brag in a non-arrogant way.  Show them your stuff because you've got the right stuff.  You just need to convince them of that and that interaction will also tell you if THEY have the right stuff you're looking for.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff, I can really relate to what you said about taking that other job where they had you doing what you did not like to do and weren't good at. That's what happened to me in my current job. They promised one thing, but the reality, once I got into it, wasn't even close to what they had me do the first year I was here. I've described this before in these forums, so I won't go into it again. Anyway, it's hard to take being told one thing, then having to do another, as you described. Or in my case having to do something I never thought could have been possible, but things were so messed up, it was possible.

Rod

• Doctor Who 2 wrote:

Jeff, I can really relate to what you said about taking that other job where they had you doing what you did not like to do and weren't good at. That's what happened to me in my current job. They promised one thing, but the reality, once I got into it, wasn't even close to what they had me do the first year I was here. I've described this before in these forums, so I won't go into it again. Anyway, it's hard to take being told one thing, then having to do another, as you described. Or in my case having to do something I never thought could have been possible, but things were so messed up, it was possible.

To Doc, and all of you folks-

Remember this:  One day you are going to walk out that door, or some other door, for the last time.  The stuff you leave behind will be there maybe for a while, but undoubtedly will change, be replaced, etc.  They are going to forget, or not even know, what you did for them.

But what you take out that door with you, what you did for yourself over the years belongs to you, and is your legacy for yourself, your future, and your family.  You aren't going to care if they name the building after you.

Rick

One of the best days of my IT career was the day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

• skeleton567 wrote:

To Doc, and all of you folks-

Remember this:  One day you are going to walk out that door, or some other door, for the last time.  The stuff you leave behind will be there maybe for a while, but undoubtedly will change, be replaced, etc.  They are going to forget, or not even know, what you did for them.

But what you take out that door with you, what you did for yourself over the years belongs to you, and is your legacy for yourself, your future, and your family.  You aren't going to care if they name the building after you.

And that, good Sir, is one of the main reasons why I call it "The Great Developer REALIZATION". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• David.Poole wrote:

When you work remotely you lose what I would term distractions from the culture

• Coffee bar/Canteen
    • Break facilities (pool table, relaxation area ...etc)
    • Office furnishings
    • Pleasantness of the office location/car parking
    • Proximity to work friends

What you are left with is the bare bones of what the culture has become and suddenly those bones look very bare indeed.  Positively osteoporotic.

Wow, this struck me as deeply profound, the stuff of Simon Sinek or case studies. I'll have to borrow it. Thank you.

Trying to figure out the world of SQL as marketing consultant for SQL Solutions Group https://sqlsolutionsgroup.com/

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply