The Growth of Vista

• I guess Vista Ultimate would be equivalent to XP Pro in terms of it having all the features of the OS. Really though, your only Vista choices are between Home Premium and Ultimate, all the others are crap. I was using Vista Business and then upgraded to Ultimate and there's nothing different in terms of performance. I'd just compare the features between the two to decide. That said, do consider the OEM versions of Vista, you can get Vista Ultimate for $200. The main caveats are that these versions are tied to your motherboard (according to the license ); the version is processor specific, i.e. you get 32-bit or 64-bit not both as with retail; and you get no support from Microsoft.

•   My brother bought a new PC at Best Buy about 6 weeks ago with Vista. He has had no problems at all with any software or Vista. The only thing he is waiting on is Apple to get their act together and certify I-Tunes on Vista.

Me, I am waiting on SP1 for Vista before i buy a new PC.

• It seems that as I talk with more people and get emails from this, that drivers are the biggest issue with Vista. Especially for home users with all sorts of devices. I know that will change, but I'm still not sure how much better it is than XP. That's probably ignorance, but it's what I think now.

I am still worried about some VS/SQL Server/OS issues. It seems the .NET integration into VS2005/Vista/SS2K5, has got them slightly out of synch. My concern is that it may be another release or at least SP1 before they get it smoothed out. Maybe SP1b, given the way some SPs have been tested recently.

If anyone is interested, a nice series on Vista: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/pretty-vista.ars

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply