The index entry for row IDwas not found in index ID n, of table nnn, in database 'xx'

• I run a series of nightly jobs that import data into temp tables, then process them to our live public facing table. For the past several nights, I have been getting this error when it is trying to copy data to the live table:

The index entry for row ID was not found in index ID n, of table nnn, in database 'xx'

I looked up the table and index, and ran a DBCC DBREINDEX() on the table, which resolves the problem, but every night when the process runs, it causes the same error.

I scheduled a DBCC DBREINDEX to run nightly before the jobs run, that didn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this error to continue to come up, night after night, or what I can do to fix it?

Running SQL 2000 on this box.

• Can you do an integrity check on that DB?

DBCC CheckDB (< Database name > ) WITH NO_INFOMSGS

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I can do that, I have done a Check Table, with no errors.

• GilaMonster (9/18/2008)

Can you do an integrity check on that DB?

DBCC CheckDB (< Database name > ) WITH NO_INFOMSGS

The command(s) completed successfully.

No errors

• Weird...

Are there any entries in the sql error log or windows event log from the same time?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I changed the time of the dbreindex to be closer to when the import job runs, and it ran successfully. Then this morning was stepping through a new job I'm working on, when I came to the data move step got this error:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForData (CheckforData()).

Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

General network error. Check your network documentation.

Connection Broken

That happened a few times, then i got the original error from the past few days about the index.

I checked the error log and didn't see anything in there for today besides a completed backup notification.

• Odd. That message indicates a forced disconnect (a kill command, or an error of severity 20 or higher) or a network glitch.

A kill or severe error should show up in the SQL error log though.

Anything in the windows event logs? (system application or security)

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (9/19/2008)

Odd. That message indicates a forced disconnect (a kill command, or an error of severity 20 or higher) or a network glitch.

A kill or severe error should show up in the SQL error log though.

Anything in the windows event logs? (system application or security)

There is nothing between Error: 8646, Severity: 21, State: 1

Database backed up: Database: xxx ...

and

The index entry for row ID was not found in index ID n, of table nn, in database 'xx'.

I admit too that this seems really odd. I tried manually killing and recreating the index, I'll see if that helps any.

• You may want to contact customer support on this. It sounds like a bug.

Gail Shaw

• This is a follow up (because I hate forums topics where a bunch of stuff is tried, but you never know what fixed the problem because the primary poster never reports back).

I did some searching and noticed that we were still running SP3 on the server. I downloaded and installed SP4 and since then haven't had this issue happen again.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply