The Industry Problem

• RonKyle (11/14/2011)

For whatever reason I have found that most of the most creative IT professionals have a degree in a non-STEM subject, if they even have a degree at all. I have known good STEM IT professionals, and on the occasional topic, such as octagonal numbers or some such, you could see the occasional advantage of their degree. Had I studied computer science in school, it would have almost no applicability to today's technology. That I learned to think through difficult problems has been much more useful to my IT career. And outside my IT career as well.

In Coders at Work, some of the best programmers we've seen recommend a degree in English, so you learn to communicate.

I think that lots of the CS I studied still applies today. Programming is programming. Don't get caught up in the syntax and learn to adapt to new languages and frameworks as they come.

• Bill Stutters (11/14/2011)

I think part of the problem with the lack of people going into CS majors is that the industry has done a very poor job of selling itself. We all hear of the long hours, weekend work, and outsourcing. This, on top of the fact that many of the required courses are difficult and don't really apply to work, pushes people away. Why should I work hard and spend a ton of money on a CS degree if the job I want is being sent offshore? Granted, there are many analysis positions which are still local, but can you name any large companies which don't offshore at least some of their programming and DBA work?

We definitely have an image problem. Like many industries, it seems that the people least satisfied are those doing the most advertising of the industry.

Re: outsourcing. Not many jobs are outsourced. Look at the overall market in IT and very few jobs are outsourced. Lots of functions in big companies are outsourced, so it's hard to use this as a benchmark. Lots of programming and DBA jobs are here, and so many managers are unwilling to allow telecommuting, much less outsourcing unless the people are onsite.

It's not as bad as the press makes it out. There is some outsourcing, but it's plenty of supplemental staff, not replacement staff. Also, note that outsourcing != offshoring. Outsourcing can be offshoring, but not necessarily.

• I have a couple of degrees, one in biochemistry and the other in computer science. I got the CS degree after becoming fascinated with computers and reading an article that talked about how one company found it easier to teach programming to its chemists than teaching chemistry to its programmers. This was back in the mid 80's.

My first job was working for a biomedical company that produced diagnostic analyzers used in medical labs. To be quite frank, I learned more about developing software in that first job than anything I learned getting my degree. Based on this experience, I encourage everyone I know who is getting a technical degree to get a summer internship position to help supplement their education. My company recently revived its internship program and it was a resounding success.

Before I decided to get a degree in biochemistry, I was gearing up for a degree in English, with plans to go to law school after that. I think that writing a good essay or research paper gives one many of the skills needed to develop good structure and cohesion in software, so I have to strongly agree with the point Steve made earlier. Not only that, but my success as a software engineer/developer owes much to my ability to communicate well. I get compliments all the time and I can't stress enough how important it is to express yourself well.

As far as STEM related coursework is concerned, I am somewhat biased towards toning that down. I don't use much of the trigonometry, advanced algebra or calculas in my day to day work. However, there is an important aspect to these courses since they help develop analytical skills.

Great topic!

• I agree, any degree that makes you a better problem-solver will help you become a better programmer. It's all logic, right?

My son is a network operations technician for a local telecom. His degree? Graphic Design. When he interviewed for his current position, the HR person asked him if he thought his major was relevant to the position. He answered that it gave him a unique perspective; that he comes at problems from a slightly different slant than others with a more traditional background. She told him that was one of the best answers she'd ever heard!

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree - my degree is in secretarial science (anybody need shorthand these days?), and I've been a SQL developer for over 12 years now!

• Maquis415 (11/14/2011)

my degree is in secretarial science (anybody need shorthand these days)!

Love it!! I didn't think anyone had even heard of Pitman's these days! It was the first thing I learnt when I left school. Anyone fancy a 'shun' hook?

But actually its all coding, isn't it?

Madame Artois

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/14/2011)

Bill Stutters (11/14/2011)

I think part of the problem with the lack of people going into CS majors is that the industry has done a very poor job of selling itself. We all hear of the long hours, weekend work, and outsourcing. This, on top of the fact that many of the required courses are difficult and don't really apply to work, pushes people away. Why should I work hard and spend a ton of money on a CS degree if the job I want is being sent offshore? Granted, there are many analysis positions which are still local, but can you name any large companies which don't offshore at least some of their programming and DBA work?

We definitely have an image problem. Like many industries, it seems that the people least satisfied are those doing the most advertising of the industry.

Re: outsourcing. Not many jobs are outsourced. Look at the overall market in IT and very few jobs are outsourced. Lots of functions in big companies are outsourced, so it's hard to use this as a benchmark. Lots of programming and DBA jobs are here, and so many managers are unwilling to allow telecommuting, much less outsourcing unless the people are onsite.

It's not as bad as the press makes it out. There is some outsourcing, but it's plenty of supplemental staff, not replacement staff. Also, note that outsourcing != offshoring. Outsourcing can be offshoring, but not necessarily.

As far as the offshoring thing goes, keep in mind that, while general unemployment is at about 9% (official rate as modified in the '90s), but IT unemployment is under 3% (by the same counting method). Double those numbers if you prefer the pre-90s methodology (which does overcount indigents), and you still have IT unemployment at a low number.

That needs to be accounted for when assuming that IT jobs are going overseas.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• i started out in IT without a degree, then started to get a degree in IT and changed it to finance. the one thing a lot of STEM people and IT educated people never learn is that any IT project has to either save the company money or open new sources of revenue. doing something just for the gee whiz of coolness is a waste of time

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply