The New Men of IT

• Them: "Where do you see me in 5 years?"

Me (in my mind, not spoken): "Don't know, don't care, so long as it's not here because you lied on your resume and if knowledge of T-SQL were gasoline, you wouldn't have enough to run a sugar-ant's mini-bike through a matchbox)."

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• True story.

We were desperate to do some hiring. We received hundreds of resumes. 8 of us were sitting around the conference table passing the resumes in a circle. The good ones got thrown into the middle of the table for further review.

The resume I was reviewing looked familiar. Yep, there it was. We had already read the exact same resume with a different name and contact info.

Just for fun, we called both of them in for an interview at the same time.

Sat them both down, held up the resumes, and asked which one of them did this resume actually belong to.

Neither! They downloaded it from someone's blog!

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John (3/23/2016)

True story.

We were desperate to do some hiring. We received hundreds of resumes. 8 of us were sitting around the conference table passing the resumes in a circle. The good ones got thrown into the middle of the table for further review.

The resume I was reviewing looked familiar. Yep, there it was. We had already read the exact same resume with a different name and contact info.

Just for fun, we called both of them in for an interview at the same time.

Sat them both down, held up the resumes, and asked which one of them did this resume actually belong to.

Neither! They downloaded it from someone's blog!

Complete idiots. Firstly for copying someone else's resumé. More so for not tailoring it.

No integrity.

No initiative.

No surprise.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (3/23/2016)

You all jest but I know of one candidate who asked "Do you have a canteen? And is it subsidised?"

Well, don't keep us all in suspense. Is it subsidised? And if so, do you have any jobs going?

• tindog (3/23/2016)

Gary Varga (3/23/2016)

You all jest but I know of one candidate who asked "Do you have a canteen? And is it subsidised?"

Well, don't keep us all in suspense. Is it subsidised? And if so, do you have any jobs going?

It was more amusing than that. I had been working with the said person and the agent trying to place them asked me for a reference. For reasons of the candidate's ineptitude I politely declined without providing my full opinion. It was then that I was told of Canteengate. Supposedly the client wasn't impressed and used this canteen question as evidence which wasn't quite enough for the agent (hence him checking in with me)...and yes, there was a subsidised canteen in 1998.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (3/23/2016)

tindog (3/23/2016)

Gary Varga (3/23/2016)

It was more amusing than that. I had been working with the said person and the agent trying to place them asked me for a reference. For reasons of the candidate's ineptitude I politely declined without providing my full opinion. It was then that I was told of Canteengate. Supposedly the client wasn't impressed and used this canteen question as evidence which wasn't quite enough for the agent (hence him checking in with me)...and yes, there was a subsidised canteen in 1998.

Canteengate 😀

• Banks are the worst for canteens. They subsidize nothing.

• David.Poole (3/21/2016)

I'm extremely wary of LinkedIn endorsements. I've been endorsed by people I've never heard of for skills I didn't know I had.

Me too. I have endorsements for skills I know i don't posses and have never possessed. Deleting them is ineffective because they come back whenever an excolleague decides to be "helpful" and endorse you for skill you would never claim; for example I've deleted C# endorsements a dozen times, but it always comes back.

LinkedIn recommendations are fine because the recommender has to explain his recommendtion. Endorsements are useless because the endorser doesn't have to (and in fact can't) say anything.

Tom

• TomThomson (3/23/2016)

David.Poole (3/21/2016)

I'm extremely wary of LinkedIn endorsements. I've been endorsed by people I've never heard of for skills I didn't know I had.

Me too. I have endorsements for skills I know i don't posses and have never possessed. Deleting them is ineffective because they come back whenever an excolleague decides to be "helpful" and endorse you for skill you would never claim; for example I've deleted C# endorsements a dozen times, but it always comes back.

LinkedIn recommendations are fine because the recommender has to explain his recommendtion. Endorsements are useless because the endorser doesn't have to (and in fact can't) say anything.

Speaking of embellished skills, LinkedIn profiles seem to be more fiction than fact for lots of people. I actually clicked a persons LinkedIn profile from a forum post.

Scary. The question asked in relation to the skills listed didn't add up.

I wonder if she new how to get the system date and time.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply