The Remote DBA

• I work from home typically 1 day a week, more in the winter depending on snow! The nearly 2 hours saved on the commute helps, and if I did it more often I'd probably consider getting a landline for conference calls. I don't find it minimizes all my distractions as we use a chat tool for most communications, so people just send messages.

I do find it more difficult when troubleshooting issues when remote, we lack good online meeting tools that I think would help that, and when everyone else is in the office and you're remote, you're not always up to date on the situation.

• Most weeks, I'm in the office two days and working from home three. It is the ideal balance for me; the pros and cons are largely as others describe. The convenience of working from home with regards to quality of life, scheduling appointments, better coffee and food, etc., is a fair offset for any extra work I might be doing... but honestly, I think that extra work is time I would have spent in a car otherwise, no loss to me. On the other hand, I quite like my co-workers and the office activities, and would feel isolated at home alone all day every day.

I realize that I'm unusually fortunate to have a sufficiently enlightened company and supervisor that I have both a great office culture and space, AND a generous allowance to work from home.

Working from home is, of course, not for everybody. Some people don't have the mindset to focus from home. You need an appropriate space and setup. (I have identical docking stations, dual monitors, and even the same fancy mouse in both places; getting these out-of-pocket was a condition of my arrangement several years ago.) I find that it helps me psychologically to always get dressed in the morning and engage in certain pre-work rituals (breakfast, workout, whatever you do) wherever I am physically going to work. I'm also sufficiently introverted that not seeing other humans for so long doesn't bother me; introversion is typical for IT people, but extroverts shouldn't work from home.

• I have worked from home for over 17 years. (SQL Server 6.5!!!) Much of that time I have been the multi-hat person: technical responsibilities combined with people/project management.

When I started working from home, I was management with Accenture. Working from home fit fine with that, as I was responsible for most of the remote people in our unit, scattered all over the western US. So there was not a single office to see everyone. The importance of face time is established, although it can be mitigated by thorough communication via phone and email. I made monthly trips to all remote offices.

Having started full time remote/WFH work in the 90s, I was pushing the envelope at Accenture (Andersen Consulting in those days). So I had the responsibility to write up guidelines for such arrangements.

a couple key points:

- separate workspace in the home. This is important to maintain some separation between work/non-work. This is especially important when you are not living alone. For family folks, a clear, discussed policy of non-interruption is important. Just because you are home does not mean you are available to watch the kids while a significant other goes shopping.

- as mentioned by other posts, adequate infrastructure. Your home office is a portal to your company office. Sufficient communication speeds (all aspects, including ping, QOS, etc) is crucial. And dedication to security. If you are on the same network as your family, be sure they aren't profligate surfers. The infections they get can more easily get to your work office through your home network.

Over the years I have observed that family people are more likely to work at home well (if they can get the family to leave them alone while they work). People living by themselves generally don't do as well, as they have no human contact ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. They tend to go back to the office.

I especially agree with the post about better coffee at home. Fact is, I need some now.

• Steve, you ask would I like to work from home?

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Am I allowed to work from home? No.

Interestingly enough the team I'm on is geographically spread out all over the state. We have weekly Skype meetings. Nevertheless, none of us may work from home.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I get far more work done when I work remotely than I do in the office. In the office, everyone wants to talk about the game on Sunday, or the terrorist attack in France, or who is running for president. These are all interesting topics, and things I enjoy discussing, but not things I am paid to work on. Additionally most of us have an average of a 30 minute drive, which equates to about an hour every day wasted in the car. On my remote days I add that time to what I work, and don't lose any real time. I also tend to start earlier, due to not having to do all of the personal things necessary to be around people in an office. I still shower, but it is so much faster to put on shorts and a t-shirt! I can walk a few feet away to make breakfast or lunch, while I am on a call, or while I am running some job. If I am in the office, it isn't that efficient. My home setup is how I want it. I have complete control over my monitors (far better quality than at work), my desk (far better quality), my keyboard, my mouse, my office chair - all things that at work I am at the mercy of some bean counter! I have never had a computer setup at work that was even 75% as good as my home computer, and my desk at work is never more than 25% as good.

Even my Internet connection is better than work!

So, yes I feel technical people should be able to work remotely as much as possible. It is better for productivity, better for morale, and it has many other benefits as well.

Dave

• Alex Gay (7/15/2016)

Remote working has it's place for those kind of tasks that benefit from concentration and a lack of distraction. I wouldn't want to do it permanently, or even for most of the time. Face to face communication is very important, and can achieve more in a few minutes than hours of email or IM. Small tasks such as assigning user permissions, or helping developers solve bugs are far easier in person and help to build a team in an industry that has traditionally been people working in isolation.

Agreed, but there is no reason a remote worker can't come in for a few hours for those issues, and there is no reason why a phone call isn't as good as a face to face. The lost productivity from trying to find a time when everyone is available is more than made up for.

Dave

• Working from home is a privilege in my group. It is generally allowed when you have an appointment in the middle of the day, need to deal with a broken car, or if the weather makes driving dangerous.

Tonight I'll be working at home to handle a conversion. We also handle our on calls remotely.

I thought I'd be working from home on Tuesday, but circumstances had me miss a couple of days of work.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Ivanova (7/15/2016)

I guess a lot depends on whether you get more distractions at home or in the office, and also on your home commitments. My current employer has people located in around 20 offices in multiple countries and time zones. Remote communication is the norm, and management has an enlightened attitude towards working from home. I work at home on occasion, mostly when I need uninterrupted concentration time. Normally I prefer to work in the office and enjoy the company of my colleagues.

I particularly like having the freedom to work from home at short notice if I have a particular need to be there. It's much better to work from home around a tradesman's visit, say, than to have to sacrifice a day's holiday (especially if the tradesman doesn't turn up!)

The more separated the team is, the more this seems to work well. If it's just a few people WFH, then it's hard.

• call.copse (7/15/2016)

WFH doesn't work for me. I need the separation and the face time. I like the cycle ride to work too.

There are definitely people like this. I have a few friends that have done a few days at home here and there, but don't like it.

• Rod at work (7/15/2016)

Steve, you ask would I like to work from home?

Interestingly enough the team I'm on is geographically spread out all over the state. We have weekly Skype meetings. Nevertheless, none of us may work from home.

That's poor management

• djackson 22568 (7/15/2016)

I get far more work done when I work remotely than I do in the office. In the office, everyone wants to talk about the game on Sunday, or the terrorist attack in France, or who is running for president. These are all interesting topics, and things I enjoy discussing, but not things I am paid to work on. Additionally most of us have an average of a 30 minute drive, which equates to about an hour every day wasted in the car. On my remote days I add that time to what I work, and don't lose any real time. I also tend to start earlier, due to not having to do all of the personal things necessary to be around people in an office. I still shower, but it is so much faster to put on shorts and a t-shirt! I can walk a few feet away to make breakfast or lunch, while I am on a call, or while I am running some job. If I am in the office, it isn't that efficient. My home setup is how I want it. I have complete control over my monitors (far better quality than at work), my desk (far better quality), my keyboard, my mouse, my office chair - all things that at work I am at the mercy of some bean counter! I have never had a computer setup at work that was even 75% as good as my home computer, and my desk at work is never more than 25% as good.

So, yes I feel technical people should be able to work remotely as much as possible. It is better for productivity, better for morale, and it has many other benefits as well.

All of these things are why I like it. I save a lot of time. Even running at lunch is shorter, go out the door, run, come back to work, sometimes stretching in front of the screen, but no need to shower.

• Rod at work (7/15/2016)

Steve, you ask would I like to work from home?

When I was working at company that had this modus operandi I had to stay late one Friday evening to do an out-of-hours upgrade on a client's system. This could easily have been done from home for if it had gone wrong and required a site visit nothing could have been done till the next day (client stayed on but security would not have allowed access until everything was cleared). Going home on the last train (that was full of drunks) I was annoyed as I could have been enjoying a cold beer. However the next week I received a package that I did not share - the appreciative client had sent me an expensive bottle of champagne!

• mjh 45389 (7/15/2016)

When I was working at company that had this modus operandi I had to stay late one Friday evening to do an out-of-hours upgrade on a client's system. This could easily have been done from home for if it had gone wrong and required a site visit nothing could have been done till the next day (client stayed on but security would not have allowed access until everything was cleared). Going home on the last train (that was full of drunks) I was annoyed as I could have been enjoying a cold beer. However the next week I received a package that I did not share - the appreciative client had sent me an expensive bottle of champagne!

Good for you. Nice to be appreciated.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/15/2016)

djackson 22568 (7/15/2016)

I get far more work done when I work remotely than I do in the office. In the office, everyone wants to talk about the game on Sunday, or the terrorist attack in France, or who is running for president. These are all interesting topics, and things I enjoy discussing, but not things I am paid to work on. Additionally most of us have an average of a 30 minute drive, which equates to about an hour every day wasted in the car. On my remote days I add that time to what I work, and don't lose any real time. I also tend to start earlier, due to not having to do all of the personal things necessary to be around people in an office. I still shower, but it is so much faster to put on shorts and a t-shirt! I can walk a few feet away to make breakfast or lunch, while I am on a call, or while I am running some job. If I am in the office, it isn't that efficient. My home setup is how I want it. I have complete control over my monitors (far better quality than at work), my desk (far better quality), my keyboard, my mouse, my office chair - all things that at work I am at the mercy of some bean counter! I have never had a computer setup at work that was even 75% as good as my home computer, and my desk at work is never more than 25% as good.

All of these things are why I like it. I save a lot of time. Even running at lunch is shorter, go out the door, run, come back to work, sometimes stretching in front of the screen, but no need to shower.

OK, I actually typed and then removed that on my post, but I will admit, I don't shower "before" starting work, I usually do so once I am done for the day. 🙂 I work with a guy who jokes about how he doesn't want to video conference because he works in his underwear... Yuck!

Dave

• I'm currently employed as a full-time remote employee (company is in another state, but does have several remote workers). I was given the option to move if I wanted, but I'm relatively settled here and don't want to move. I go to the home office a couple times a year for the physical face to face time, but we have a good Skype setup in the office with conference rooms set up well to handle remote employees. I like it - no commute, great co-workers, interesting work, and ability to handle things at home if needed.

We had some work-from-home opportunities at my last place, but those were taken away by new management for financial reasons (deal cut with new office location for tax breaks). We lost people pretty quickly after that as the new location was farther away and more expensive for us. However, we worked well remotely with hangouts, phone calls, chat rooms, and the like. A lot of those people now work "together" remotely. One even moved out of the area to be closer to family, but still works with the new group.

It all depends on the company and the environment, of course. I wouldn't have been able to do this at my first couple of jobs. The technology wasn't really up to the task and one company really required that face to face time. I also traveled a lot for one of those jobs - working on-site for our clients rather than in-office. Now, I'd really consider being able to work from home as one of the key things I'd look for in a job. I like the lack of commute and ability to get going quickly, though I do tend to have issues w/ stopping at times.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply