the report breaks after I Added an extra field to dataset

• I created a report in VS 2008 R2 using the shared Data Sources, and embedded dataset. it runs without any problem.

Later, I added another fields to the dataset. if the original fields displayed were like Field1, field2, field3, field4..., the new report display as Field1, field2, New Field, field3, field4....

When I run it in preview, the field header row has Field1, field2, New Field, field3, field4.... however, the data displayed in the report represents Field1, field2, field3, field4.... The New field's value is not displayed; field3's data value is displayed under the new field's name. under the last field's name, it doesn't have any value and displayed #Error.

The query works correctly in the query designer; I also checked the table design, all fields have the correct expression for the field value.

In SSRS 2005, I can add fields to the dataset after report was created without any problem. I am new to the SSRS 2008 R2. I don't know what caused this problem and how to fix it. Does anyone else have the same problem? Could you please help? Many thanks!!

• I found if I remove the report data file from my local folder, then reopen the report, it runs without problem. Could someone tell me the reason behinds this behavior?

• MaBear (11/17/2011)

I found if I remove the report data file from my local folder, then reopen the report, it runs without problem. Could someone tell me the reason behinds this behavior?

Caching. Instead of executing the data set to pull the result set, VS is using a cached .rdldata file. But when you delete the file manually VS has no other option but to execute the dataset.

It happens to me all the time. I found BIDS Helper to be an easy way to delete the cached dataset. It's a free community tool. See below:

http://bidshelper.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Delete%20Dataset%20Cache%20Files&referringTitle=Documentation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply